About the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority
Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority
300 Bath Street
Tel: 0300 003 3601
CICA is the government body responsible for administering the Criminal Injuries Compensation Scheme in England, Scotland and Wales. We are part of the Ministry of Justice and also provide a service on behalf of the Scottish Government.
The Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA) operates out of our office in the centre of Glasgow and currently employs over 450 staff. We have a Chief Executive and board of directors.
Our service to the victims of violent crime
We provide a free service to victims of violent crime. We know that we can never fully compensate them, but we can recognise their suffering and give them some financial support that may help them move on.
We aim to provide a fast, efficient service and welcome comments about our service, good or bad.
CICA Scheme Policy Equality Objectives
Here are CICA’s six Scheme policy equality objectives:
- CICA will promote the involvement of stakeholders, including race and disability groups, in developing new Scheme policies and processes and in reviewing our existing policies and processes.
- CICA will promote equality of opportunity for all applicants to apply for compensation by continuing to look at ways we can assist, for example:
- by providing Braille translations;
- making our application forms available on line;
- providing facilities for telephone applications;
- ensuring our guidance is provided in language that is easy to understand and ensuring our written guidance is published in a font size that is easy to read.
- CICA will monitor customer satisfaction to ensure that applicants consider that they have had equality of opportunity in the application process and have not been subject to discrimination, harassment or victimisation when using our services.
- CICA will conduct an Equality Impact Assessment to identify the likely equality impacts on any proposed policy change, project or service being assessed.
- CICA will introduce a Welsh Language Scheme which treats the English and Welsh languages on a basis of equality.
- CICA will consider mechanisms for gathering, identifying and assessing the characteristics of 'unrepresented groups' of eligible applicants, including ethnicity, gender and age.