About HM Prison Service
Her Majesty's Prison Service serves the public by keeping in custody those committed by the courts. Our duty is to look after them with humanity and help them lead law-abiding and useful lives in custody and after release.
- To provide the very best prison services so that we are the provider of choice
- To work towards this vision by securing the following key objectives.
To protect the public and provide what commissioners want to purchase by:
- Holding prisoners securely
- Reducing the risk of prisoners re-offending
- Providing safe and well-ordered establishments in which we treat prisoners humanely, decently and lawfully.
In securing these objectives we adhere to the following principles:
In carrying out our work we:
- Work in close partnership with our commissioners and others in the Criminal Justice System to achieve common objectives
- Obtain best value from the resources available using research to ensure effective correctional practice
- Promote diversity, equality of opportunity and combat unlawful discrimination, and
- Ensure our staff have the right leadership, organisation, support and preparation to carry out their work effectively.