The Ministry of Justice's ambition is to transform prisons into industrious places of productive work. We will:
- Get prisoners working up to 40 hours a week
- Focus the daily routine around work, preventing prisoners being idle
- Ensure prison work is sustainable and self-financing
- Work closely with businesses, the CBI and Trades Unions to ensure that we do not unfairly undercut outside companies or take jobs from the law-abiding
- Look for opportunities to create jobs in the community and UK supply chains
- Focus education and training in prisons on equipping offenders to work
- Link work activity to qualifications and employment opportunities on release.
We have already made progress in achieving our ambition, and in May 2012 we launched ONE3ONE Solutions – Justice working for you, to grow the amount of work available in prisons.
You can read more about this: