Office of the Public Guardian complaints

Step by step Complaints process

Everyone has the right to expect a good level of service from the Office of the Public Guardian (OPG) and to have things put right if we get it wrong.

We will always:

  • Make the complaints process simple and easy
  • Listen to your complaint
  • Consider how you would want us to resolve your complaint
  • Learn from the issues raised through customer feedback

By E-mail E-mail your complaint to:
In Person: If you are dealing with the contact centre in the first instance, you should informally raise your concerns with the person whom you have been speaking with or ask for the line manager. They will be the best-placed to resolve any concern quickly and to your satisfaction.
If we cannot resolve it at this point, or you remain dissatisfied, you may wish to make a formal written complaint *we call this Stage 1.
In Writing: Address your letter to:      Office of the Public Guardian PO Box 16185 Birmingham B2 2WH
By Fax Fax your complaint to: 0870 739 5780

How long will it take?

Any complaint we receive is taken seriously and treated in confidence. Once we have received your complaint we will investigate and respond within ten working days, explaining what went wrong and the steps we have taken to put things right.

If we are unable to give you a full response we will let you know why and update you on the progress of your complaint so far. We will also inform you of when you can expect to hear from us.

What if you’re not satisfied by our response?

We aim to resolve complaints before this point. However, should you remain dissatisfied, you can write to the Chief Executive’s office, who will assess whether your complaint was handled appropriately and whether the outcome was correct or not. *We call this stage 2

We ask that all complaints go through stage one before being considered at stage two.

And if we can’t resolve the issue together:

Should you remain dissatisfied you can ask a Member of Parliament to request the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman (PHSO) to consider your complaint.

Before referring a complaint to the PHSO you will need to have completed our two-stage complaint process.

Areas we cannot resolve

Unfortunately there are some concerns that cannot be resolved through our complaints process.

The OPG provides advice about its own processes only and cannot provide legal advice or services to any party. You may need to seek independent legal advice where appropriate.

Court of Protection

We cannot deal with complaints about the handling of your case by the Court of Protection (the court) and any concerns should be made to them directly.

We cannot comment on or review any judicial decision made in relation to any aspect of your case. The Court has a formal appeals process and this needs to be followed.

Supervision level allocation

If you are unhappy with the supervision level you have been allocated to, you can ask us to review our decision. To do this, you must follow the instructions on the letter sent informing you of your level of supervision.

Concerns about an Attorney or Deputy

If you are concerned about the actions of an Attorney acting under a registered Enduring Power of Attorney or Lasting Power of Attorney, or a Deputy appointed by the Court then you can email the Investigations team at:



Tel: 0115 934 2777


You can also contact us in writing using the address above.

Ministry of Justice


Get email alerts
Find a form
Find a court form