Askham Grange prison visiting information
Sat & Sun: 13:45 - 15:45
To book online, visit: www.gov.uk/prison-visits
All you need is:
- the name and date of birth of the person you are visiting
- their prisoner number.
You can choose up to 3 possible dates and times. Visits booking staff will check what’s available and confirm your visit by email.
If you've made an online visit booking request and haven't received a confirmation email within 1-3 working days, please telephone 0300 060 6513. Lines are open from 09:00 – 18:00 Monday to Friday.
Additional information: You may be entitled to help with your travel expenses. Please visit the Assisted Prison Visits Scheme page for more information. A children’s play area is available to use during visits. There is wheelchair user access to the visits area.
Booking information: Ring the visits booking line on 0300 060 6513. Lines are open from 09:00 – 18:00 Monday to Friday. The booking must then be followed up by a letter / fax of confirmation on headed paper from the Official Visitor to the establishment.
Alternatively, legal visits can be booked by email at email@example.com.
There is a family-friendly visitor's centre run by the Prison Advice and Care Trust (PACT), a national charity. Visitors are offered a warm welcome, information and support. Further information can be found on the PACT website or by calling 01904 772 026 to speak to a member of the PACT team.
Prison Voicemail service
Social contacts can exchange voicemails with prisoners through the Prison Voicemail service, which is available at this establishment. Family members or friends sign up online and are given a unique landline phone number which they can call at any time to leave messages. The prisoner dials the same number from within the prison to listen and reply. You can find more information including pricing at www.prisonvoicemail.com.
How to get there:
- Bus: York Pullman Bus Company service number 37 operates the only direct service to Askham Richard village as follows:
- Saturday Depart York Station 13.35 - arrive Askham Richard 13.58
- Saturday Depart Askham Richard 15.32 - arrive York Station 15.55
- There is no direct bus service to the village on Sundays or public holidays.
- The Yorkshire Coastliner bus service operates on the A64 road between York and Leeds, and return, at frequent intervals. If this route is used, tickets should be purchased to the Buckles Inn which is a 15 minute walk from the prison. This service operates seven days a week.
- Train: The nearest railway station is York which is served by Kings Cross (London), journey time approximately 2 hours.
- Car: When approaching from York take the A64 for Leeds past Copmanthorpe village, take the next exit onto the flyover to the roundabout. Leave by the second exit passing Askham Bryan College on the left hand side and take the next left signposted Askham Richard. After approximately 1 mile turn right into Askham Richard village. From Leeds turn left off the A64 at the Buckles Inn, sign posted Askham Richard, carry straight on over the hill to the “T” junction, turn left then right into Askham Richard village.
- Parking: There is ample parking in the prison grounds.
- Taxi: are available from York station foyer; service is frequent and fares are approximately £15.00 each way. Journey time is up to 20 minute depending on traffic.