Belmarsh prison visiting information
Social visiting times
Monday - No visits
Tuesday - 09.30-11.00
Wednesday - 09.30-11.00, 14.30-16.00
Thursday - 09.30-11.00, 14.30-16.00
Friday - 09.00 - 10.30
Saturday - 14.30-16.00
Sunday - 14.30-16.00
Direct social booking line - 0208-331-4768
Please be aware that bookings will be made dependant on the houseblock that the person you are visiting is on;
Houseblock One and Houseblock Two – Tuesday AM, Wednesday PM, Thursday AM, Friday AM, Saturday PM, Sunday PM.
Houseblock Three and Houseblock Four – Wednesday AM, Thursday PM, Friday AM, Saturday PM, Sunday PM
There is a maximum of 3 visitors aged 10 years and over and 3 under 10 years.
Visitor centre: There is a family-friendly visitor's centre run by Spurgeons, a national charity. Visitors are offered a warm welcome, information and support. For more information please go to www.spurgeons.org/hmp-belmarsh, call 020 8317 3888 or email email@example.com.
Monday - No Visits
Tuesday - 9.00-11.30, 14.00-16.30
Wednesday - 9.00-11.30, 14.00-16.30
Thursday - 9.00-11.30, 14.00-16.30
Friday - 9.00-11.00
Official/legal visits can be booked via the following email address:
Legal Visits Tel Number: 0208 331 4769
Additional information: Evening visitors must be a QC or a Barrister
How to get there:
- Bus: From Woolwich Arsenal Station catch the 244/380 bus to the prison. The bus stops are situated directly outside the exit from the railway station.
- Train: The nearest stations are Woolwich Arsenal and Plumstead. Catch a bus from Woolwich Arsenal station to the prison, or walk from Plumstead station (contact the visitor centre for details).
Approach from M25 Dartford Bridge/Tunnel:
- Heading South - over Bridge: Take first slip road immediately after tolls, (NB head for 4 left hand tolls when coming over the bridge). Signposted A206. First exit at roundabout and come over the motorway. Then to * (below):
Heading North - towards tunnel: Take last exit (Junction 1) before tunnel signposted A206 Crayford/Erith. Then to * (below):
- *: Roundabout over M25 - signposted A206 Crayford/ Erith. University Way.
- Roundabout end of University Way/ dual carriageway signposted A206 Crayford / Erith.
- Into Bexley / single carriageway / roundabout.
- 4th exit signposted Erith A206 Crayford/Erith
Roundabout end dual carriageway
- 2nd exit signposed Woolwich/ Thamesmead A206
- Roundabout 2nd exit signposted A2016 Thamesmead, Plumstead, Woolwich
- Series of roundabouts signposted A2016 Thamesmead, Plumstead, Woolwich
- Dual carriageway towards Thamesmead, roundabout signposted Western Way
- Signpost to Belmarsh and Courts - left slip road at traffic lights.
- Approach from Woolwich: Proceed along Plumstead Road, turn left into Pettman Crescent (just before Plumstead Bus Garage) then take the second left at the traffic lights into Western Way. Belmarsh is situated approximately half a mile down on the right-hand side. Follow signs for HMP Belmarsh and Courts.
- Approach from Plumstead: Proceed along Plumstead High Street, turn right into Pettman Crescent (just after Plumstead Bus Garage) then take the second left at the traffic lights into Western Way. Belmarsh is situated approximately half a mile down on the right-hand side. Follow signs for HMP Belmarsh and Courts.
- There is a visitors' car park.