Brixton prison visiting information
Tue and Thurs 08:30 - 10:00, 10:30 – 11:45, 13:15 - 14:30, 15:00 – 16:15
Sat: 08:30 - 10:00, 10:30 – 11:45, 13:15 - 14:30, 15:00 – 16:15
Sun: 13:45 - 16:45 (enhanced only)
Booking information: We encourage all social visitors to book through the Online Booking tool. Visits can also be booked by calling 020 8678 1433. Please also note that the social visits phone line now only operates between 13:30 – 16:30 to allow us to respond to Online Booking requests each morning. Bookings can be made up to 28 days in advance of their scheduled date.
Visitor Centre: There is a family-friendly Visitor's Centre run by Spurgeons, a national charity. Visitors are offered a warm welcome, information and support. For more information please go to www.spurgeons.org/hmp-brixton, call 020 8588 6406 or email email@example.com
Additional information: Sundays - workforce and enhanced prisoners only.
You may be entitled to help with your travel expenses. Please visit the Assisted Prison Visits Scheme page for more information.
Visitors dress and behaviour: HMP Brixton operates a family-orientated visits policy. The majority of our visitors are accompanied by children and we want to foster a decent, safe and relaxed family environment.
To maintain decency in the visits hall our dress code must be adhered to. This is to prevent inappropriate clothing being worn in and around the presence of other visitors and staff.
Please see the information below as guidance.
- Hats - may not be worn in the Visits Hall with the exception of religious headwear (e.g. Sikh turbans, Jewish yarmulkes, Muslim kufi, the Hijab and Rastafarian hats). These will be subject to searching as per HMP Brixton’s searching policy.
- Gloves/scarves - may not be worn. These should be left in the lockers provided in the visits entrance.
- Hooded tops - can be worn but not with the hood up.
- Skirts - skirts must at least reach the knee in the standing position.
- Shorts - high cut shorts are not permitted.
- Dresses - dresses must at least reach the knee in the standing position.
- Tops - must be sufficient to cover both breasts and the midriff area and must not be transparent. Cleavage must be appropriately covered so as not to cause offence. Athletic singlets (vests) are not permitted.
- Trousers - torn jeans with holes revealing the buttocks or underwear may not be worn.
- Footwear - footwear must be enclosed - sandals are appropriate but flip flops are not permitted.
- Logos - clothing with any logos connected to a sporting team may not be worn by visitors who are 13 and over. Clothing displaying offensive patterns or logos will not be permitted (such as cannabis leaves, racist logos or offensive language).
Inappropriate behaviour is defined as any behaviour that may present a risk to the security of the establishment or behaviour that is deemed indecent. All visitors and prisoners need to be aware that inappropriate physical interaction is prohibited and in some cases is a criminal act.
Staff have a duty to maintain the need for public decency within the Visits Hall and to ensure that any person is not subjected to any inappropriate of indecent behaviour by any prisoner or visitor.
Guidance as to what constitutes indecent behaviour is prolonged intimate kissing, caressing of another person’s torso or lower region or physical exposure by either party of their chests, breasts or genitalia.
Legal visits are only available on Tuesdays and Thursdays, at the same times as social visits.
How to get there:
- Bus: The following buses pass the prison: No's. 45, 59, 109, 118, 133, 159, and 250. Alight at Jebb Avenue. All buses stop outside the Underground Station.
- Train: Overground - The nearest mainline station is Brixton. Complete the journey by bus (see below for details). Underground - Brixton (on the Victoria line) is the nearest tube station.
- Car: The prison is situated one mile south of Brixton on the A23, off Brixton Hill
- Parking on Jebb Avenue is restricted to permit holders and a clamping scheme is in operation. Official visitors can make individual arrangements through the Governor's Secretary. Nearby off-street parking is available.