Chelmsford prison visiting information
Mon-Thu: 14:15 - 16:00 (No entry after 3pm)
Sat & Sun: 09:30 - 11:00 (No entry after 10am) & 14:30 - 15:45 (No entry after 3pm)
To book online, visit: www.gov.uk/prison-visits
All you need is:
- the name and date of birth of the person you are visiting
- their prisoner number.
You can choose up to 3 possible dates and times. Prison booking staff will check what's available and confirm your visit by email.
Visitor’s Centre Manager: Alison Herron. 01245 552452.
Visitors Centre Opens, Monday to Thursday 12:00-16:30, Friday Closed (no visits), Saturday/Sunday 08.00-11.15 & 12.00-16.30.
Please Note: You will not be permitted to enter the prison after the following times: Monday – Thursday 15:00. This means you must be in the Visitors’ Centre no later than 15 minutes before that time.
Acceptable forms of identification:
One of the following with a recognisable photograph:
- Driving licence photo ID card, Passport (including foreign passports)
- Citizenship photo card
- EU identity card
- Immigration/HM Customs photo card
- Current Employers cards (must show name, photo, signature and the employer must be known to exist).
Alternatively two of the following are required:
- Birth or marriage certificate
- Recent utility bill (within last three months)
- Recent bank statement (within last three months)
- Paper driving licence
- Young person’s proof of age card
- Trade Union or National Students Union membership card
- Foreign identity or residents card, Medical card (not E111 photo card).
The prison does not accept Student ID cards and letters from the Benefits Office, Solicitors, and Police etc as a form of ID. If the prisoner is on remand he may have up to 1 visit per day subject to availability. Visitors to remand prisoners do not require a Visiting Order to attend. Convicted and judge's remand visits are dependant on the privilege level of the prisoner. You must be in possession of a Visiting Order Number before booking a visit. On arrival please book in at the Visitors’ Centre. You must have your identification, a £1 coin for the locker and small change for the tea bar (max £10 coins).
Please Note: The only jewellery you are permitted to wear is a wedding/engagement ring and small studs. All jewellery, including watches, will be left in the locker.
For seating, a maximum of 3 adults and 3 children, under the age of 5, will be allowed. Children over 5 require a seat, therefore, take up an adult seat. If a child looks older than 4, ID may be required.
Mon: 09:00 - 11:00 & 13:30 - 16:00
Tue: 09:00 - 11:00 & 13:30 - 16:00
Wed: 09:00 - 11:00 & 13:30 - 16:00
Thu: 09:00 - 11:00 & 13:30 - 16:00
Fri: 09:00 - 11:00
Booking information: Book by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Additional information: All visits must be booked at least 24 hours in advance.
All bookings and alterations must be made no later than 12:00 one working day prior to the visit.
Video link is available primarily for court actions. However, there is limited availability for police, probation, solicitors and inter-prison visits. Contact the switchboard on 01245 552000 and ask for video link bookings, OMU custody.
When not being used by the courts, available times are between 09:00-11:00 and 14:00-16:00, Monday to Friday.
During 2014, two new booths will come online which are dedicated for legal and professional video links. This will give colleagues a more reliable and predictable service.
How to get there:
- Bus: The prison is served by Eastern National Buses (routes 54 and 56).
- Train: The Prison is 3/4 of a mile from Chelmsford Railway station.
- Car: Via the M11 Junction 7: At junction 7 take A414 Harlow and follow through to Chelmsford. At Widford roundabout (church on your left) take first left exit. Take 2nd exit at next roundabout (Supabowl on left) Take 2nd exit at next roundabout Princes Road at Army & Navy roundabout (with flyover) go straight over- Colchester/Harwich A138. Straight over next small roundabout. At traffic lights take left hand slip road into Sandford Road. Follow road to the end turn left at traffic lights into Springfield Road – Prison entrance is almost immediately on your left.
- Via the M25-A12 from London: From M25 take A12 to Chelmsford. Do not take the first Chelmsford slip road off the A12 but continue on to the 2nd slip road (Southend A130). Follow Chelmsford signs to Army & Navy roundabout take 4th exit A138 Colchester/Harwich. Then continue as above.
- Via the A12 from Colchester: From Colchester take A12 London bound – take the first Chelmsford slip road off the A12 (Chelmsford/Boreham). Keep in right hand lane of slip road and take 3rd exit off roundabout. You will immediately join another roundabout, take 1st exit A138. Go straight over the next roundabout and take the 1st exit at the following roundabout. At the next roundabout take the 3rd exit UNDER THE BRIDGE. Follow this road (Springfield Road) straight over a small roundabout and just after the 2nd set of traffic lights the Prison is immediately on your left.
- M11 Junction 8: From junction 8 take A120 towards Great Dunmow/Chelmsford. When nearing North Springfield you will travel along Essex Regiment Way – with a series of small roundabouts. At the roundabout at North Springfield (Council tip to your right) take left hand road A138 towards Boreham. Go straight over the next 2 roundabouts – at the 3rd roundabout (Sainsbury's to your left) turn right on to the A1137 Chelmsford. Go straight over the first small roundabout and at the next roundabout take the 3rd exit UNDER the bridge. Follow this road straight over a small roundabout and just after the 2nd set of traffic lights the Prison is immediately on your left.
- There are no parking spaces available at the prison for visitors. The nearest public car park is at Victoria Road approx 5 minutes walk from the prison.