Dartmoor prison visiting information
Sat: 0930-1130 and 1400-1600
Sun: 0930-1130 and 1400-1600
To book online, visit: www.gov.uk/prison-visits
All you need is:
- the name and date of birth of the person you are visiting
- their prisoner number.
You can choose up to 3 possible dates and times. Prison booking staff will check what's available and confirm your visit by email.
If you've made an online visit booking request and haven't received a confirmation email within 1-3 working days, please call 01822 322022, lines open Mon - Fri between 10:00 - 12:00.
If you cancel a visit by email or telephone it will count as one of the prisoner’s monthly visits, it is better to email or telephone and change the date.
Visitors are required to bring photographic and date of birth identification on their visit (if photo ID is not provided, the visit will be disallowed).
Visitors are allowed to bring in £20 in coinage per adult (£10 per child) to buy snacks, teas, coffees and soft drinks. Notes will not be permitted. Monies are to be placed in clear bags prior to visit.
If a new born baby comes to visit, the parents will have to bring in a brand new bottle and a sealed packet of formula. Nappies are provided.
Choices Consultancy Service is a not-for-profit voluntary run organisation that deliver the following family services within HMP Dartmoor.
Visitors Centre - offers a safe, pleasant environments where all visitors are met with dignity and respect. The Choices team offer information, support and guidance to all visitors.
Children's play Service - Choices provide supervised play during visiting times. Choices encourage all children to spend time with their dads whilst visiting, providing toys, games and drawing materials for children to play with in the play area and at the table with dad.
Family Day Visits – All day family day visits are available for prisoners who are on enhanced or standard regime. Choices deliver one family day per month in each establishment. They provide a range of activities for the whole family. These visits promote play and positive interaction within family units. Fathers are encouraged to enter the play area and play with their children.
Catering – ‘Healthy Choices' provides hot and cold refreshments that are both wholesome and affordable to prisoners and their visitors during all visits.
Inductions/First Night Centre - Choices staff approach prisoners during their induction process/first night in prison, with the aim to highlight possible needs and services available. A needs analysis is undertaken whereby, if a prisoner highlights areas of need regarding family matters follow-up work is undertaken. Ongoing family support generated from this is also provided.
You may be entitled to help with your travel expenses. Please visit the Assisted Prison Visits Scheme page for more information.
For more information please visit Choices website:
Mon-Thu: 09:30-11:30 & 14:00-16:00
Booking information: LegalVisits.Dartmoor@hmps.gsi.gov.uk
Emergency calls only on 01822 322022
The line is only open AM – 10.00 to 12.00
Escort Area/ Contractor: Geoamey
Local Authority: West Devon Borough Council
Constabulary: Devon and Cornwall Police Authority
Probation Service: National Probation Service
Latest HMIP Report: August 2017
Independent Monitoring Board Chair: Mrs Jackie Sharpe
Prison Voicemail service
Social contacts can exchange voicemails with prisoners through the Prison Voicemail service, which is available at this establishment. Family members or friends sign up online and are given a unique landline phone number which they can call at any time to leave messages. The prisoner dials the same number from within the prison to listen and reply. You can find more information including pricing at www.prisonvoicemail.com.
How to get there:
- Bus: At Plymouth bus station take a bus to Tavistock for the connecting bus service to Princetown. There is no Tavistock to Princetown services at weekends.
- Train: The nearest mainline railway station to HMP Dartmoor is at Plymouth.
- Taxi: Different companies appear to charge anything from £20-£40 fares to HMP Dartmoor from Plymouth. The average rate should be £15-£25. If possible it is advisable to agree a fixed fare with your driver before setting out.
- Car: From Bristol, follow signs to the Southwest eg Exeter, Okehampton (A30). Bypass Okehampton following signs to Launceston, taking the next turning on the left, signposted Tavistock (A386). As you approach Tavistock, after passing Kelly College on the right, take the 2nd turning on the left hand side signposted Princetown. Proceed for approximately 7 miles over the moors turning right into Princetown. Once in Princetown you will see the prison on the left hand side. (If you would like a more scenic route over Dartmoor, after Exeter then follow the signs for Plymouth). After about 28-29 miles you will see signs for Ashburton, don't take the first turning off to Ashburton (on the left), take the next one signposted Ashburton, Two Bridges, and Princetown. Princetown is approx 12 miles from the turning (down very winding roads). Once in the village of Princetown take the first right turn, the prison is approximately half a mile up this road on the right hand side.
- From Plymouth, follow the signs to Yelverton, Princetown. Once in Princetown turn left. The prison is approx half a mile up this road on the right hand side.
- From Cornwall, follow the signs to Tavistock. On arriving in Tavistock follow the signs to Princetown which is approx 8 miles away.
- The visitors' car park is situated approx 150 yards before the prison on the right hand side.