Durham prison visiting information
Mon: 13:45 - 15:45
Tue: 13:45 - 15:45 and *17:15 - 19:15
Wed: 13:45 - 15:45 and *17:15 - 19:15
Thu: *9.30 - 11.45 and 13:45 - 15:45
Fri: 13:45 - 15:45
Sat: 09:30 - 11:45 and 13:45 - 17:00
Sun: 09:30 - 11:45 and 13:45 - 17:00
The visiting times above are a guide only, please do not expect to enter or leave the visits hall at these exact times. Within these visiting times, we aim to provide as long a visit as possible and as a minimum the prisoner’s mandatory visits entitlement. *Please note Evening and Thursday AM visits are for family learning only.
Telephone 0191 332 3417
Monday 09.00 to 14.00 hours
Tuesday – Friday 09.00 to 12.00
Friday – 17.00 to 19.00
To book online, visit www.gov.uk/prison-visits
Please include the following:
- Prisoner name and their Prison number
- Prisoner date of birth
- 1st, 2nd and 3rd choice of visit date
- All visitors (including children) full names
- All visitors (including children) date of birth
- All visitors (including children) relationship to prisoner
You will usually receive an acknowledgement of your visit application within one working day.
Social Visitors must first report to the Visitor’s Centre which is opposite the prison on the left as you approach the prison coming from the city centre. Please arrive thirty minutes prior to your booked visit time and make sure you bring with you acceptable proof of Identity. Wheelchair users and/or the mobility impaired will need to make their own arrangements to get from the Visitor’s Centre over to the prison. Further information can be obtained from either the booking clerk on 0191 332 3417 or the Visitors Centre on 0191 332 3676.
**You can book a social visit (in person) at HMP Durham Visitors Centre; only one visit per prisoner can be booked by this means. The application for the visit must be completed and handed in at the Visitors Centre Monday to Friday 12.30 to 14.00; and in addition on a Wednesday 16.30 to 17.30.
Additional information: Visitors must report to the visitors centre which is on the opposite side of the road to the main prison gate (100 yards up the hill). There is a big blue sign on the wall outside.
Proof of ID must be presented before gaining entry. Further information can be obtained from either the booked visits staff on 0191 332 3417 or the visitors centre on 0191 332 3676 or access website www.nepacs.co.uk and search for the Durham page.
You may be entitled to help with your travel expenses. Please visit the Assisted Prison Visits Scheme page for more information.
Mon: 09:00 - 11:30 and 14.00 – 15.45 and 17.45 – 19.00
Tue: 09:00 - 11:30 and 14:00 - 15:45
Wed: 09:00 - 11:30 and 14:00 - 15:45
Thu: 09:00 - 11:30 and 14.00 – 15.45 and 17.45 – 19.00
Fri: 09:00 - 11:30 and 14:00 - 15:45
Telephone 0191 332 3590
Monday – Friday from 08.30 to 12.00 hours and 13.00 to 16.00
If you need to bring equipment with you e.g. a laptop, please advise the booking clerk of this requirement. On arrival at HMP Durham you must first report to the main gate where you will be booked in.
HMP Durham has a Prison Court Video Link available for use by official visitors particularly prisoner’s legal representatives whenever there is spare capacity. Further information can be obtained from the booking clerk on 0191 332 3590
Additional information: Report to the main reception on arrival. If you need to bring equipment with you on your visit, please advise the booking clerk.
How to get there:
- Bus: 15-20 minute walk to the prison. After leaving the station turn right and walk down North Road towards the Market Place, passing Burger King, crossing Framwellgate Bridge and passing Marks & Spencer. Stay on the right hand side and go around the corner to Saddler Street. Cross the road and take the first left. From here you will see the Royal County Hotel and a set of traffic lights. Cross the road at the lights and continue along until you see the Visitors Centre on the left hand side. Report there if you are visiting a prisoner. If you need to visit the establishment then cross the road to the right hand side and report to the main entrance.
- Train: 20-25 minute walk to the prison. Walk down the hill from Durham station and cross the footbridge and continue down the road passing Argos on the left hand side, from there you will see the bus station and follow the directions above. A Taxi from the train station will cost around £5.
- Car: From A1m follow A690 into Durham City Centre. At the roundabout take the City Centre road and turn left at the next roundabout. At the traffic lights turn left into Old Elvet, the Royal County Hotel will be on the left hand side. Follow the road until you see the visitors centre on the left hand side and report to either the visitors centre or the main entrance.
- There is a very limited amount of parking space surrounding the prison at a cost of 30p per half hour. There is a Multi storey car park situated at the Prince Bishops shopping centre. The current cost is Monday – Saturday 0-2 hours £1.30, 2-4 hours £2.70, 4-6 hours £5.50, over 6 hours £11.00. Sunday 0-2 hours 0.80, the remainder of the day is the same as Monday to Saturday.
Directions to HMP Durham (82KB)