Foston Hall Prison information
Foston Hall is a Closed Female prison, which was originally the hunting estate of the Broadhurst family. The present Hall was built in 1863 but the estate is 14th Century and many parts of the 17th Century house remain. The Prison Service acquired the Hall and grounds in 1953. During its Prison Service history Foston Hall has been a Detention Centre, an immigration centre, and finally before its closure during 1996 a satellite of Sudbury prison. It was re-opened on 31 July 1997, following major refurbishment and building work, as a closed female establishment. The prison has a Certified Normal Accommodation (CNA) of 290 spread over eight wings that serve a variety of functions.
HMP & YOI Foston Hall
Tel: 01283 584300
Fax: 01283 584301
Governor: Clare Pearson
Operational Capacity: 344
Regime: Includes provision for gaining qualifications in the gardens, the gym, the textile workshop and the kitchens.
Other areas of vocational learning are the NVQ in Cleaning Services, Hairdressing and Beauty Therapy in addition to Functional Skills and courses to support employment on release, within the education department.
Additionally the prison runs the following programmes/initiatives:
- Thinking Skills Programme (TSP) – Accredited Offending Behaviour Programme
- CARE (Choices, Actions, Relationships and Emotions) - Accredited Offending Behaviour Programme
- Anger Management
- IDTS –Integrated Drug Treatment Systems
- Substance Misuse Service including Clinical and Psychosocial Interventions
- Samaritans trained listeners scheme