Grendon prison visiting information
Wed: 14:00 - 16:00
Sat & Sun: 13:45 - 15:45
Visitors may book in at the visitors centre opposite the main gate from 1300 hours.
To book online, visit: www.gov.uk/prison-visits
All you need is:
- the name and date of birth of the person you are visiting
- their prisoner number
You can choose up to 3 possible dates and times. Prison booking staff will check what’s available and confirm your visit by email. You’ll also receive your visiting order (VO) number by email. You must bring this with you when you visit.
If you've made an online visit booking request and haven't received a confirmation email within 1-3 working days, please email SocialVisits.email@example.com.
For visiting enquiries please ring 01296 445243, unfortunately we cannot take phone bookings.
There is now a purpose built visitor’s centre which has children’s play area, lockers and toilet facilities. Refreshments are available prior to visits and a family support group meets in the centre once a month.
Grendon is proud of its visits centre and of the facilities it provides. This has been recognised by it being awarded a Charter Mark. We endeavour to provide a relaxed and informal atmosphere for the people and children that use it.
The visits centre is a no smoking area. There is an inside children's playroom and an outside play area. A baby changing room is available.
Disabled access: The visits centre is accessible via ramps and a disabled toilet is available. For the latest details of the centre and the facilities available contact the prison on 01296 445000 and listen to the recorded message.
The canteen provides light refreshments including tea and coffee.
Outside the prison there is a well equipped, comfortable visitor centre. Tea, coffee and juices, chocolate and crisps are available to purchase. There is a play area, information, lockers, baby changing and toilet facilities. Booking in takes place from 1300hrs on visiting days.
All visitors will be required to produce ID prior to entry and all children entering the prison must have a pre-booked visit.
As a rule, bring in as little as possible as you are not allowed to take anything into the prison with you. This includes medication and any personal effects such as wallets, cash, keys, and purses . These items must be left in the lockers that are available at the Visitor Reception Centre. The following items are strictly prohibited:
- Weapons (Guns, knives etc)
- Video cameras
- Syringes, drugs or any other drug paraphernalia
- Mobile phones
You may be entitled to help with your travel expenses. Please visit the Assisted Prison Visits Scheme page for more information.
How to get there:
- Those who need to use public transport from Aylesbury on a Wednesday or Saturday should use the no.16 buses at Bay 6 operated by Arriva. They stop opposite the prison gate, please allow approximately ten minutes to walk up to the prison. Buses are infrequent and can be unreliable. No buses from Bicester and no buses on Sundays. Timetables are available in the visits centre. Bus travel information can be obtained by telephoning 0871200 2233 Taxi information from Bicester 01869 249207 and from Aylesbury 01296 489777.
- The nearest railway stations are Bicester Town (trains to and from Oxford), Bicester North station (trains to and from London Marylebone) and to and from the North. Aylesbury station (trains to and from London Marylebone.)
- By road from Bicester: take the A41 towards Aylesbury. A left hand turn is signed to Grendon Underwood. Go past the Church found on left hand side and the prison is approximately half a mile further on the right hand side.
- From Aylesbury: take the A41 towards Bicester for about 12 miles. Turn right to Grendon Underwood, go past the Church Prison approximately half a mile on the right hand side.