High Down prison visiting information
Mon: No visits
Tue: 9-11am HB6 only – Last entry 10:15 and 2-4pm No HB6 – Last entry 2:30
Wed: 9-11am HB6 only – Last entry 10:15 and 2-4pm No HB6 – Last entry 2:30
Thu: 9-11am HB6 only – Last entry 10:15 and 2-4pm No HB6 – Last entry 2:30
Fri: No visits
Sat & Sun: 2-4pm – Last entry 2:30
Booking a visit
All visits to High Down must be booked, they can be booked using the following methods:
- Telephone on 020 7147 6570 (see times below)
- Email via firstname.lastname@example.org – ask for a booking form
- In person at the Visitors Centre by filling in a request form.
- Online via website www.gov.uk/prison-visits and follow the instructions.
Please note that booking via website is only available to visitors who are already on the prisoner’s contact list. Use phone or email for your initial visit.
When using the website you will receive automated replies from the following email address:
These replies may end up in your junk mailbox, especially if viewing emails on smart phones. Add the email address to your contact list to ensure they go to your inbox.
Newly remanded or newly convicted prisoners are entitled to a reception visit within the first 72 hours of arrival, but this must still be booked via the Booking Line and is subject to availability, and is not available to prisoners on Licence Recall.
Email and website requests are usually processed within 24 hours.
Convicted prisoners can book a visit up to 28 days in advance, (it is not necessary for a prisoner to send out a Visiting Order).
Remand prisoners can only book 8 days in advance, (even if booking via the website).
36 hours notice needed to make amendments to bookings
Booking Office opening times are:
Monday to Friday: 09:00 – 12:00 and 13.15 – 16.30
Saturday & Sunday: 08:15 – 12.00
Closed Bank Holidays, Christmas Day and Boxing Day
- Clothing can only be handed in or out at the Visitors Centre before/after a visit between 10:30 - 11:45 hrs, and within 28 days of the prisoner’s arrival. None will be accepted outside of these times.
- No cash, cheques or postal orders will be accepted. They must be posted in. Postal orders/cheques should be made out to HM Prison Service with the prisoner’s name and number on the back. The Sender’s details i.e. name, address, relationship to prisoner should also be included. Please note cheques can take up to 3 week to clear, postal orders and cash is immediate.
- Only coins – no notes - can be taken into the visits hall to buy refreshments. Change is available in the Visitors Centre.
- There is no smoking on visits.
- Baby changing facilities available in centre and visits hall toilets.
- Supervised play area in the Visits hall.
- For further information, please phone the Visitors Centre Information Line on 020 7147 6360 (Can’t be used for bookings). If no reply, leave a message and staff will get back to you as soon as possible.
Mon: No visits
Tue: Professional visits: 08:45-09:45, 10:30–11:30
Wed: Professional visits: 08:45-09:45, 10:30–11:30
Thu: Professional visits: 08:45-09:45, 10:30–11:30
Fri, Sat, Sun: No visits
Legal visits can be booked by email at LegalVisits.HighDown@hmps.gsi.gov.uk.
Booking office opening times are:
Monday to Friday only: 08.30 – 12.00 and 13.15 – 16.30
Please note as of 18th May 2013, legal visits can only be booked via email.
How to get there:
The prison is 14 miles south of Central London, close to Sutton and 6 miles north of the M25.
It is situated opposite HMP Downview in Sutton.
Number 80 bus from Morden station (Northern Line)
Take a train to Sutton or Belmont station. The prison is less than 15 minutes away, from there you can get a taxi (£6 each way approx).
From M25 Junction 8, take the A217 to Sutton/London. After about 5 miles turn right onto the A2022, then turn left at the second roundabout into Sutton Lane (B2218). The prison is signposted about 1 mile down on the right. For Sat Nav's, the postcode is SM2 5PJ.
There is limited on-site parking facilities for visitors.