Hindley prison visiting information
Visiting information for Hindley can be seen below.
Young people - under 18s
Tuesday: No visits
Thursday: No visits
Young adults - over 18s
Monday: No visits
Wednesday: No visits
Friday: No visits
Closed visits: 14:30 - 15:30 / 15:30 - 16:30 Minimum of 1 hour session.
Basic/bronze regime 15.30-16.30 - 1 hour session only.
Visits - booking times
Sunday: 0915 - 1300, 1415 – 1645
Monday: 0845 - 1200, 1415 – 1630
Tuesday: 0845 – 1200, 1415 – 1630
Wednesday: 0845 - 1200, 1415 – 1630
Thursday: 0845 - 1200, 1415 – 1630
Friday: 0845 - 1200, 1415 – 1630
Saturday: 0915 - 1300, 1415 – 1645
Visits booking line numbers are as follows:
Young people’s: 01942 663492
Young adult’s: 01942 663234
A family room is also available Monday to Friday 14:00 to 16:00 and Saturday to Sunday 09:30 to 11:30 and 14:00 to 16:00.
Additional information: Please inform booking staff if you have any special needs (there is a lift available as an alternative to a flight of stairs in the visits hall).
All visitors will be searched prior to entry. Failure to consent will result in non-admittance. Any visitor found in possession of a controlled substance will be arrested and prosecuted. All visits are subject to availability.
You may be entitled to help with your travel expenses. Please visit the Assisted Prison Visits Scheme page for more information.
Sunday: No visits
Monday: 9-10 & 10-11, 1400-1500 & 1500-1600
Tuesday: 9-10 & 10-11, 1400-1500 & 1500-1600
Wednesday: 9-10 & 10-11, 1400-1500 & 1500-1600
Thursday: 9-10 & 10-11, 1400-1500 & 1500-1600
Friday: 9-10 & 10-11, 1400-1500 & 1500-1600
Saturday: No visits
Legal Visits are also run on a rota basis to ensure YP’s and YA’s do not mix.
Booking information: All visits must be booked via the visits booking line on 01942 663 492 which is open 08:30 - 11:30 & 13:00 - 16:00 Monday to Sunday.
All visits must be booked at least 24 hours in advance via the above booking line. After your initial visit, visits can also be booked at the establishment whilst visiting.
Additional information: Please let booking staff know if you need to use/bring in any electronic equipment, and wherever possible please do not bring a mobile phone with you (there are limited numbers of lockers available).
How to get there:
HMYOI Hindley is actually located in Bickershaw.
- Travelling from Liverpool on the A580 East Lancashire Road: Exit at the junction East Lancs Road/M6 (junction 24), turning left and go straight on to the traffic lights towards 'Ashton Town Centre'. Turn left and then proceed to the next set of traffic lights going straight on to the A58. Carry on for approximately 3 miles turning right at the next set of traffic lights/T junction. Almost immediately, turn left into Bickershaw Lane, and continue for 1 mile until you reach a public house on your left called the Queens Hotel. Take the 2nd left after the Queens Hotel and HMYOI Hindley is at the end of the road.
- Travelling from Manchester on the A580 East Lancashire Road: Exit the East Lancs Road turning right at Golbourne and following the directions for Abram. Continue for approximately 2 1/2 miles, going through Golbourne. You will come to a public house called the Dover Lock, and the road will bend quite shrply to the right and over the canal bridge. Continue for around 1 mile until you reach a set of traffic lights where you should trun right onto Bickershaw Road. On the right side of this road there is a garage called Bickershaw Garage. Continue for 1 mile until you reach a public house on your left called the Queens Hotel. Take the 2nd left after the Queens Hotel and HMYOI Hindley is at the end of the road.
- Travelling on the M61 motorway: Exit the M61 at junction 5 travelling towards Westhoughton or Wigan. After about 800 yeards, at the next roundabout, take the 2nd exit following the signs for the A58 or A511. Turn left at the next set of traffic lights signposted 'Leigh' and proceed for approximately 2 miles to the next set of traffic lights where you should turn right. You will see a public house on your right called 'The Mason Arms'. Continue for 1 mile to the next set of traffic lights and turn left, following the sign for Leigh A578. Continue for around 3/4 of a mile until you see a junction with a car spares shop on the corner. Turn right into Smiths Lane, and continue for 1 1/2 miles until you see Bickershaw Labour Club on the right. Turn right immediately after the Labour Club, where you will find the access road to the prison directly behind it.
- Bus: You can catch the 658 bus from Wigan bus station. The bus stops at the top of the road leading to the establishment.
- Rail: There are regular trains from Liverpool and Manchester which stop at Wigan Wallgate and Wigan North Western stations.
- Taxis are available outside both stations. Taxis can also be hailed in Wigan town centre. Staff in the Visitors Centre also have the number for a local taxi firm.
- Visitors parking is available to the left of the main gate by the Visitor Centre.