Hindley prison visiting information
Visiting information for Hindley can be seen below.
Sunday: 14:15 – 15:45
Monday: 14:15 – 15:45
Tuesday: 14:15 – 15:45
Wednesday: 14:15 – 15:45
Thursday: 14:15 – 15:45
Friday: 14:15 – 15:45
Saturday: 14:15 – 15:45
Closed visits: 14:30 - 15:30 / 15:30 - 16:30 Minimum of 1 hour session.
To book online, visit: www.gov.uk/prison-visits
All you need is:
the name and date of birth of the person you are visiting
their prisoner number
the dates of birth of the people who will be attending the visit
You can choose up to 3 possible dates and times. Prison booking staff will check what’s available and confirm your visit by email. You’ll also receive your visiting order (VO) number by email. You must bring this with you when you visit.
If you've made an online visit booking request and haven't received a confirmation email within 1-3 working days, please email email@example.com.
Visits - booking times
Monday: 08:45 – 12:00, 14:15 – 16:00
Tuesday: 08:45 – 12:00, 14:15 – 16:00
Wednesday: 08:45 – 12:00, 14:15 – 16:00
Thursday: 08:45 – 12:00, 14:15 – 16:00
Friday: 08:45 – 12:00, 14:15 – 16:00
Visits booking line numbers are as follows: 01942 663 492 or 01942 663 234
Additional information: Please inform booking staff if you have any special needs (there is a lift available as an alternative to a flight of stairs in the visits hall).
All visitors will be searched prior to entry. Failure to consent will result in non-admittance. Any visitor found in possession of a controlled substance will be arrested and prosecuted. All visits are subject to availability.
You may be entitled to help with your travel expenses. Please visit the Assisted Prison Visits Scheme page for more information.
Sunday: No visits
Monday: 9:00-10:00 & 10:00-11:00, 14:00-15:00 & 15:00-16:00
Tuesday: 9:00-10:00 & 10:00-11:00, 14:00-15:00 & 15:00-16:00
Wednesday: 9:00-10:00 & 10:00-11:00, 14:00-15:00 & 15:00-16:00
Thursday: 9:00-10:00 & 10:00-11:00, 14:00-15:00 & 15:00-16:00
Friday: 9:00-10:00 & 10:00-11:00, 14:00-15:00 & 15:00-16:00
Saturday: No visits
Booking information: All visits must be booked via the visits booking lines on 01942 663 492 or 01942 663 234 which is open 08:45 - 12:00 & 14:15 - 16:00 Monday to Friday.
All visits must be booked at least 24 hours in advance via the above booking line. After your initial visit, visits can also be booked at the establishment whilst visiting.
Additional information: Please let booking staff know if you need to use/bring in any electronic equipment, and wherever possible please do not bring a mobile phone with you (there are limited numbers of lockers available).
Prison Voicemail service
Social contacts can exchange voicemails with prisoners through the Prison Voicemail service, which is available at HMP Hindley. Family members or friends sign up online and are given a unique landline phone number which they can call at any time to leave messages. The prisoner dials the same number from within the prison to listen and reply. You can find more information including pricing at www.prisonvoicemail.com.
How to get there:
HMYOI Hindley is actually located in Bickershaw.
- Travelling from Liverpool on the A580 East Lancashire Road: Exit at the junction East Lancs Road/M6 (junction 24), turning left and go straight on to the traffic lights towards 'Ashton Town Centre'. Turn left and then proceed to the next set of traffic lights going straight on to the A58. Carry on for approximately 3 miles turning right at the next set of traffic lights/T junction. Almost immediately, turn left into Bickershaw Lane, and continue for 1 mile until you reach a public house on your left called the Queens Hotel. Take the 2nd left after the Queens Hotel and HMYOI Hindley is at the end of the road.
- Travelling from Manchester on the A580 East Lancashire Road: Exit the East Lancs Road turning right at Golbourne and following the directions for Abram. Continue for approximately 2 1/2 miles, going through Golbourne. You will come to a public house called the Dover Lock, and the road will bend quite shrply to the right and over the canal bridge. Continue for around 1 mile until you reach a set of traffic lights where you should trun right onto Bickershaw Road. On the right side of this road there is a garage called Bickershaw Garage. Continue for 1 mile until you reach a public house on your left called the Queens Hotel. Take the 2nd left after the Queens Hotel and HMYOI Hindley is at the end of the road.
- Travelling on the M61 motorway: Exit the M61 at junction 5 travelling towards Westhoughton or Wigan. After about 800 yeards, at the next roundabout, take the 2nd exit following the signs for the A58 or A511. Turn left at the next set of traffic lights signposted 'Leigh' and proceed for approximately 2 miles to the next set of traffic lights where you should turn right. You will see a public house on your right called 'The Mason Arms'. Continue for 1 mile to the next set of traffic lights and turn left, following the sign for Leigh A578. Continue for around 3/4 of a mile until you see a junction with a car spares shop on the corner. Turn right into Smiths Lane, and continue for 1 1/2 miles until you see Bickershaw Labour Club on the right. Turn right immediately after the Labour Club, where you will find the access road to the prison directly behind it.
- Bus: You can catch the 658 bus from Wigan bus station. The bus stops at the top of the road leading to the establishment.
- Rail: There are regular trains from Liverpool and Manchester which stop at Wigan Wallgate and Wigan North Western stations.
- Taxis are available outside both stations. Taxis can also be hailed in Wigan town centre. Staff in the Visitors Centre also have the number for a local taxi firm.
- Visitors parking is available to the left of the main gate by the Visitor Centre.