Hull Prison information
HMP Hull is a Victorian Prison opened in 1870 to hold both men and women, 2 miles east of Hull city centre.
In 1939 it was used as a Military Prison and later a Civil Defence Depot. In 1950 it re-opened as a Closed Male Borstal. In 1969, after extensive security work, Hull became one of the first maximum security dispersal prisons.
On 31 August 1976 it erupted in an orgy of violence and destruction which lasted 5 days and closed the jail for the best part of a year. In 1986 Hull was removed from the dispersal system and assumed its current role as a Male Local Prison/Remand Centre.
In 2002 the prison expanded and the site increased in size. The expansion included 4 new wings, a new healthcare centre, a new sports hall, a new multi-faith centre and refurbishment to other part of the prison including the kitchen, education and workshops.
Tel: 01482 282200
Fax: 01482 282400
Governor: Norman Griffin
Operational capacity: 762 as of 5 April 2013. CNC 552 as of 5 April 2013.
Reception criteria: Local prison holding remand, sentenced and convicted adult males (except Cat A) and young offenders. Some convicted prisoners undertaking specialist programme.