Leicester prison visiting information
Social visits/closed visits
Mon: 14.15 – 16.15
Tue: 14.15 – 16.15
Wed: 16.00 – 18.00
Thu: 14.15 – 16.15
Sat: 14.15 – 16.15
Sun: 14.15 – 16.15
Basic Visits take place between 15.15 – 16.15 and 17.00 – 18.00 Wednesday
Visits can be booked 10 days in advance by phone, or up to 28 days online. Any cancellations and amendments must be done within 48 hours. Booking reference number will be required for this.
To book online, visit: www.gov.uk/prison-visits
All you need is:
- the name and date of birth of the person you are visiting
- their prisoner number
You can choose up to 3 possible dates and times. Prison booking staff will check what’s available and confirm your visit by email.
If you've made an online visit booking request and haven't received a confirmation email within 1-3 working days, please email email@example.com.
Booking information: Booking line 0116 228 3128 open 5 days a week Monday to Friday. Monday 9.30 - 11.30 and 13.00 – 15.00, Tuesday to Friday 8.30 - 11.30 and 13.00 - 15.00 or book in person at the Visitors’ Centre open for all domestic visit sessions.
Additional information: Domestic visitors should report to the Visitors' Centre on Tower Street to book in for their visit. Children's play area and tea bar operate in the visits room staffed by volunteers.
You may be entitled to help with your travel expenses. Please visit the Assisted Prison Visits Scheme page for more information or pick up a booklet from the visits centre.
Mon-Fri: 09.15 – 11.15
Mon, Tues, Thurs pm visit 14.15 – 16.15
Booking information: E-mail:Legal and professional visits can only be booked via email.
Legal visits can only be booked up to four weeks in advance and cancellations taken up to 48 hours before the visit is due.
Additional information: Official visitors should report to the visitors centre on Tower Street to book in for their visit in the morning. In the afternoon they must report to the vehicle gate.
How to get there:
- Train: Leicester train station is the nearest station and is a short walk from the prison. It is on the Midland Mainline. In case of difficulty getting instructions to the prison, ask for directions to Leicester Royal Infirmary (Hospital) - we are a short distance from the hospital.
- Bus: The main bus station (St. Margaret's) is situated to the north of the city centre. The prison is approximately 1 mile south of the bus station.
- Car: From London / South: Take the M1 northbound, turning off at junction 21. At the roundabout, take the 2nd left and follow the signs for the city centre. At the 4th set of lights you come to, turn right. Go straight at the next roundabout and left at the one-way system. Take the 2nd right round the multi-storey car park (this car park is for L.R.I nurses). The prison is opposite Leicester Royal Infirmary, which is well signposted.
- From Manchester / West: Leave Manchester via the A6, heading towards Derby. After about 23 miles, take the A623 towards Peak Forest. After about 20 miles, take the A619 towards Chesterfield. Stay on this road for 10 miles, take the A617 towards Mansfield and after about 5 miles, join the M1. At junction 22 join the A50 heading towards the city centre. Follow A50 or signs for Leicester Royal Infirmary.
- Car parking spaces in Leicester town centre are in short supply and some are some distance from the prison.