Lewes Prison information
Lewes acquired a new prison in the middle of the last century, partially planned on a radial system and surrounded by a high wall. The prison was outside the town when it was built and a generous amount of land was enclosed within the perimeter wall which has allowed for in-filling over the years with additional buildings. It stands today at one end of the High Street about half a mile from the town centre. Traditionally Lewes has not been well resourced, but new accommodation and some additional regime facilities were opened in 2008.
1 Brighton Road
Tel: 01273 785 100
Fax: 01273 785 101
Governor: Nigel Foote
Operational capacity: 742
Reception criteria: Male only, convicted and remand, adult and local remand young offenders - no provision for sentenced young offenders.
Accommodation: Lewes prison is a combination of original, Victorian wings comprising mainly shared accommodation and a new build unit consisting of 174 single cells.
Regime: HMP Lewes provides a limited range of work, education and training activities, including:
- Education provision for all abilities in a variety of subjects, including IT.
- Work is available in a small contract services workshop, as well as in the Laundry, Stores and Kitchen.
- Vocational training, providing opportunities to earn industry recognised qualifications can be undertaken whilst working in some of these areas, as well as dedicated learning centres which offer courses in bricklaying, painting and decorating, industrial cleaning and various health related courses provided by the Gym team.
- Other short courses aimed at increasing employability are provided, including first aid at work qualifications.
- Domestic and industrial cleaning work is also available on residential wings and in some work areas.
- Accredited programmes aimed at reducing the risk of reoffending are provided.
- A PE programme is available, as is weekly library access for all.
- A team of Listeners trained by the Samaritans are available day and night for those who need additional support if they feel at risk of self harming.
Healthcare: Health Care Services at HMP Lewes are provided by Sussex Partnership NHS Foundation Trust. There is a 19 bed inpatient unit, an outpatient facility, a pharmacy and a range of clinics.
Drugs Strategy: Substance misuse services are provided under contract by CRI in partnership with Sussex Partnership NHS Foundation Trust Sussex Partnership NHS Foundation Trust Prisoners are interviewed on reception. Detoxification is offered if needed and a dedicated 26 bed Stabilisation Unit exists to provide suitable accommodation during this period. The Drug and Alcohol Recovery Team is a multi-disciplinary team which provides a range of interventions and assistance to those prisoners which seek help in addressing substance misuse issues.