Regime information for Lewes Prison
HMP Lewes offers a diverse range of purposeful activity to engage prisoners during their time with us. Learning is available through class based teaching and also whilst working in one of our workshops. Available activity includes:
- Learning @ Lewes – Education provision covering a core curriculum of English, Maths, ESOL and IT supplemented with additional learning opportunities identified through need analysis i.e. Customer Service. There is also catering training in the training kitchen as well as Barista training to be introduced early 2018.
- Working @ Lewes – Three contract service workshops providing the opportunity to experience working environments and learning of new skills/qualifications in manual handling, warehousing and distribution and more.
- Multi-skills workshop delivering City and Guilds accredited basic construction and painting and decorating qualifications.
- Well-equipped Gymnasium offering range of opportunities in health and wellbeing, smoking cessation, remedial assistance and Fortitude Fitness accredited qualifications.
- Library access with a large selection of books and DVD’s as well as activities such as debating and Beyond Boxes.
- Services such Kitchens, Laundry, Stores and domestic cleaning.
- Resolve and TSP treatment programmes are run throughout the year.
- Forward trust (substance misuse) groups and programmes run throughout the year.
- Numerous peer support roles are available such as Safer Custody, Listeners scheme (trained by the Samaritans offering 24/7 support to those who feel vulnerable and at risk of self-harm), Advisors, Trainers, Substance Misuse.
- Induction and Pre-release support by Kent, Surrey and Sussex Community Rehabilitation Company assisting in resettlement, finances, employment and more.
- Mentoring scheme assisting in securing accommodation, debt related issues and more provided by Sussex Pathways.
- Family services provided by Spurgeons hosting events such as Family days.
- Future plans for 2018-2019 to provide activity and vocational training in Horticulture by means of a Market Garden,
- Wild flower planting and Bee keeping as well as Waste Management.
Healthcare services at HMP Lewes are provided by Sussex Partnership NHS Foundation Trust. The Trust was rated as “good” overall by the CQC with “outstanding” for caring in January 2018. Further details can found on the Trust’s website www.sussexpartnership.nhs.uk/how-we-are-rated
Services provided at HMP Lewes include a 12 bed acute inpatient unit, which offers a crisis response, a nurse-led primary care service and a multi-disciplinary mental health team who visit prisoners on the wings. There is also an onsite pharmacy.
Healthcare services are designed to be equivalent to what a person may expect to receive in the community. Clinics offer support for long-term conditions, vaccinations, sexual health advice and wound care. Where necessary, those in our care are referred for external specialist appointments, including admission to their local psychiatric unit under the Mental Health Act. Where possible, healthcare staff work with relatives and carers to ensure there is continuity of care.
The GP, dentistry and optician clinics are all supplied by independent providers.
Substance misuse services are provided under contract by CRI in partnership with Sussex Partnership NHS Foundation Trust.
Everyone arriving into the establishment are interviewed on reception. Detoxification is offered if needed. A drug worker follows up applications for assistance received from prisoners and contacts every mandatory drug test (MDT) failure to offer advice/assistance.
Detoxification is available in the healthcare centre, and 1-to-1 counselling/advice is available from a drug worker and other agencies throughout the prison.
The prison is represented on the local Drug Action Team and representatives of outside drug agencies are members of the prisons Drug Strategy Team.