Lewes prison visiting information
Mon: 09:30 - 11:00 and 14:10 - 15:35
Tue: 14:10 - 15:35
Wed: 09:30 - 11:00 and 14:10 - 15:35
Thu: 14:10 - 15:35
Fri: 09:30 - 11:00 and 14:10 - 15:35
Sat - Sun 14:10 - 15:35
To book online, visit: www.gov.uk/prison-visits
All you need is:
- the name and date of birth of the person you are visiting
- their prisoner number.
You can choose up to 3 possible dates and times. Prison booking staff will check what's available and confirm your visit by email.
If you've made an online visit booking request and haven't received a confirmation email within 1-3 working days, please email SocialVisits.Lewes@hmps.gsi.gov.uk or call 01273 785271 or 01273 785277, lines open 09:30 -12:00 & 14:00 -16:30hrs Monday to Friday (excluding Bank Holidays) and 09:00 – 12:00 hrs and 14:00 – 16:30 Saturday and Sunday.
Additional information: Visitors should arrive 30 minutes early to allow for processing.
Convicted/sentenced prisoners get three visits a month. Remand prisoners can have three visits a week - two during the week and one at weekends.
If the prisoner is convicted/sentenced you must wait until you have received a visiting order from them before you can book or visit.
You must bring your visiting order with you to your visit, along with your booking reference number/email confirmation and your ID.
Suitable ID includes
- driving licence
- benefit book
- EC identity card
- Senior citizen’s public transport pass issued by a local authority
or you will need 2 official documents:
- Birth/marriage certificate
- Rail or bus pass with photo
- Cheque book or credit/debit card (counts as one, do not accept as two)
- Young person’s ‘proof of age’ card
- Trade Union or National Students’ union membership Card
- Library card, if it has a signature that can be compared with the visitor’s signature
- Rent book
- Foreign identity or resident’s card (other than EC ID cards acceptable in their own right)
You cannot bring anything on the visit for the prisoner unless he has filled out an application for it to be brought in.
If you or a family member or the prisoner is disabled, please let the booking clerk know and they will put you down for a flat visit which is on the lower level so you will not have to climb all the stairs.
You may be entitled to help with your travel expenses. Please visit the Assisted Prison Visits Scheme page for more information.
Mon - Fri: 09:30-10:15 & 10:15-11:00, 14:10-14:50 & 14:50-15:35
Sat - Sun 14:10 - 15:35
Booking information: Visits must be booked at least 24 hours in advance on 01273 785271 or 01273 785277. The booking line is open:
09:30 -12:00 & 14:00 -16:30hrs Monday to Friday (excluding Bank Holidays) and 09:00 – 12:00 hrs and 14:00 – 16:30 Saturday and Sunday
Bookings can be taken up to 14 days in advance.
Additional information: Visitors should arrive 30 minutes early to allow for processing. Longer visits can be booked if neccessary.
Prison Voicemail service
Social contacts can exchange voicemails
with prisoners through the Prison Voicemail service, which is available at this
establishment. Family members or friends sign up online and are given a unique
landline phone number which they can call at any time to leave messages. The
prisoner dials the same number from within the prison to listen and reply. You
can find more information including pricing at www.prisonvoicemail.com.
How to get there: The prison is situated in the town of Lewes, East Sussex.
- Bus: Take any bus from Brighton to Lewes.
- Train:To Lewes from London Victoria, approximately half hourly. Station is a 5 minute taxi ride/25 minute walk.
- Car: From London take A23, M23, A27 then join A275 and prison is on left.
Laptop Confirmation Form (29KB)
Legal Visits Booking Form (63KB)
Social Visits Booking Form (122KB)