Low Newton prison visiting information
Tuesday: 1.45pm – 15.45pm
Thursday: 1.45pm – 15.45pm and 17.30- 18.30
9am – 9.40am. 11.15am- 11.45pm (Child/parent visits) 1.45pm – 15.45pm
9.30am – 10.40am. 2.15pm to 2.45pm (Last Friday of the month, Play Day visits only)
Saturday: 13.45pm –15.45pm
Sunday: 13.45pm – 15.45pm
The visitors centre will open at 12.30pm and will close at 4pm on these dates and provides refreshments.
Our family/ play day visit dates for 2018/2019 are: (1 adult visit must be present)
- 16 Feb- Play day
- March 23- Play day
- April 27 – Family day
- June 1- Play day
- June 29- Play day
- July 27 – Family day
- August 31 –Play day
- September 28 – play day
- October 26 - family day
- November 30 – play day
- December 21 – play day
All other Fridays are child/parent visits 9.30 – 11.30am
(1 adult visit must be present
Visitors centre: Nepacs work in partnership with HMP Low Newton to ensure there is a child-friendly and welcoming visitors’ centre. The centre is staffed by support workers and volunteers who can provide information and assistance to people visiting their loved ones. If you require any advice or information, please call 01913764138. You can visit the HMP Low Newton Nepacs site for more information
To book online, visit: www.gov.uk/prison-visits
If you've made an online visit booking request and haven't received a confirmation email within 1-3 working days, please call 0300 060 6514, Monday - Friday - lines open 09:00 - 18:00
To book via email: email@example.com
Emails received between 9am-1pm will be actioned that day, emails received after this time will be processed the next day.
To book via telephone: 0300 060 6514 (Monday - Friday - lines open 09:00 - 18:00)
All you need is
- the name and date of birth of the person you are visiting
- Their prisoner number.
If you've made an online visit booking request and haven't received a confirmation email within 1-3 working days, please call 0300 060 6514, Monday - Friday - lines open 09:00 - 18:00.
Reception visits: A reception visit, not booked, may take place within 7 days of the first reception into prison, providing spaces are available in the Visits Room.
Remand prisoners: (unconvicted, trial and remand prisoners): Unconvicted prisoners are entitled to 3 sessions per week, Monday to Friday and one session on a weekend, making a total of 4 sessions in a 7 day period, room in visits permitting. These visits must be pre-booked.
Convicted prisoners: After the initial reception visit, further visits will be booked when you are in receipt of a valid Visiting Order (VO). Convicted prisoners are entitled to a minimum of 2 Visiting Orders per 28 days.
All visitors must report to the Visitors Centre which is located outside of the Prison.
Please arrive half an hour prior to your visit time.
Last admission will be 1 hour prior to the end of the visit session.
Proof of ID must be presented before gaining entry.
Visitors using wheelchairs need to make their own arrangements to travel from the Visitors Centre to the prison.
All newly addmitted Prisoners are enttitled to an Reception, this must be taken within the first 7 days of the girl coming into Custody. A reception does not need to be booked in, all visitors must report to the Visitors Centre on one of our visiting day and inform staff that they are here for an Reception Visit.
Further information can be obtained from either the booked visits clerk on 0191 376 4147 or the Visitors Centre on 0191 376 4138.
Tuesday: 09.30-11.30, 14.15-15.45
Thursday: 09.30-11.30, 14.15-15.45
* NEVER the last Friday of the month
Official visit bookings can be taken using the online booking system or on the visits booking line or email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0300 060 6514.
On arrival social visitors should report to the visitors centre in front of the Prison. Official visitors should report to the main reception.
The contact number for our visitors Centre is 0191 376 4138.
Prison Voicemail service
Social contacts can exchange voicemails with prisoners through the Prison Voicemail service, which is available at this establishment. Family members or friends sign up online and are given a unique landline phone number which they can call at any time to leave messages. The prisoner dials the same number from within the prison to listen and reply. You can find more information including pricing at www.prisonvoicemail.com.
How to get there
Low Newton Womens local prison and Young Offenders Institute is on the outskirts of Durham City.
- Bus: Buses run from North Rd in Durham (0.5 miles from the station). No. 63 & 64 come every 10 minutes.
- Train: Durham City is the nearest station to LOw Newton and is the main East Coast line Inter City station. Check your local station for details. It's a 10-15 minute walk to the bus stop, or taxis operate from both the station and bus stop.
- Car: From the north or south take the A1(M) to the A167 Chester le Street slip road. On the roundabout below the A1 take the exit posted A167 Durham (from the North it is the 3rd exit from the South it is the first). Coming the second roundabout, follow the A167 Durham Sign, going straight on. There is a large BP garage on the right. You come to another roundabout, go straight ahead, following signpost A167 Durham. Go on to another roundabout, go straight ahead, A167 Durham. You will go under a railway bridge, carry straight on the dual carriageway, straight through the two new roundabouts at Chester Moor and the Red Lion. At the next big roundabout, take the first left signposted Arnison Centre, Newton Hall, Finchale Priory. Carry on past McDonalds, Sainsburys etc on your right. At the next roundabout go straight across, signposted Newton Hall, Brasside, Finchale Priory. Continue a short distance to another roundabout, (housing estate on the right, Newton Grange pub/hotel on your left). Turn left signposted Newton Hall, Brasside, Finchale Priory. Go on down the hill, under the railway bridge. Take the first right for Low Newton prison, after the bus shelter on the right.
There is a visitors car park at the front of the prison but parking is limited during the week.