Offending Behaviour groups included Enhanced Thinking Skills Courses, Welfare to Work and Job Clubs. There is also a Listener Scheme for those prisoners who may be at risk from suicide or self-harm. Community projects are also an option.
Interventions for HMP & YOI Moorland
HMP & YOI Moorland currently runs 3 accredited Offending Behaviour Programmes:
- Thinking Skills which addresses a prisoners cognitive skills allowing them to look at problem solving in relation to their offending behaviour and general life decisions
- CALM: Controlling Anger and learning to Manage it which is an anger management programme addressing issues of Emotional violence in relation to offending behaviour
- Building Skills for Recovery the replacement substance misuse programme for PASRO. BSR addresses both drug and alcohol misuse and can be accessed by alcohol misusers only, this programme has been commissioned by Doncaster PCT as part of its Recovery based ethos.
Moorland has also introduced 2 non accredited programmes:
- A-Z - which is a motivational 6 session course designed to encourage offenders to address their offending behaviour
- Mens Talking - a 10 session discussion lead group looking at mens perception of what a mans role is, what is masculinity and general male values.
Moorland runs Peer support groups for all 3 of the accredited programmes where prisoners support each other post programme to continue using the skills learnt.
We currently have a diverse range of workshop placements offering work experience mirroring the current work market
Contract 2(various external contracts)
Farms and gardens
Painting and decorating
Contract 1 (various external contracts)
Workshop 17 (wire stripping).
We also have 3 workshops that are run by our education department allowing prisoners to gain vital vocational qualifications.
Diploma in Bricklaying – Level 2 CSkills Award (CAA)
Diploma in Painting & Decorating – Level 2 CSkills Award (CAA)
Diploma in Bench Joinery – Level 2 CSkills Award (CAA)
Our Education department run by Manchester City College offer a wide range of courses and qualifications listed below:
Functional Skills in English – Entry 1, Entry 2 & Entry 3 (OCR)
Functional Skills in Mathematics – Entry 1, Entry 2 & Entry 3 (OCR)
Skills for life Adult Literacy – Entry 1, Entry 2 & Entry 3 (City & Guilds)
Skills for Life Adult Numeracy – Entry 1, Entry 2 & Entry 3 (City & Guilds)
Skills for Life Adult Literacy – Level 1 & Level 2 (OCR)
Skills for Life Adult Numeracy – Level 1 & Level 2 (OCR)
ITQ – Level 1, Level 2 & Level 3 (OCR)
Certificate in Creative Techniques (Art) – Level 1 (C&G)
Certificate in Employability Skills – Level 2 (NCFE)
VT Hospitality & Catering – Food & Beverage Service – Level 1 (C&G)
VT Hospitality & Catering – Professional Cookery – Level 2 (C&G)
VT Hospitality & Catering – Food Preparation & Cooking – Level 1 (C&G)
Award in Food Safety in Catering – Level 2 (HABC)
Practical Horticulture Skills – Level 1 (C&G)
Understanding Diversity within Society – Level 1 (OCN)
Introduction to Drug Awareness – Level 2 (OCN)
Introduction to Alcohol Awareness - Level 2 (OCN)
Understanding Rights & Responsibilities of Citizenship – Level 1 (OCN)
Family Relationships – Level 1 (OCN)
HMP & YOI Moorland has modern gymnasium facilities including two weight and cardiovascular gyms, a remedial gym area, sports hall and external football field, as well as recreational gym sessions we run full time courses leading to vocational qualifications.
Gym instructor Level 2 NVQ
Circuit instructor level 1 + 2 NVQ
First aid at work HSE approved
Treatment of injuries level 2 + 3 QCA/NQF
Indoor cycling beginners credits towards NVQ
Healthy Living level 1+2 credits towards NVQ