Visiting information for Portland Young Offender Institution
Tues: 13:45 – 16:00
Sat: 13:45 – 16:00
Sun: 13:45 – 16:00
Booking information: Social visits booking direct line: 01305 715775. The booking line is open between 09:00 and 11:00 every weekday.
Additional information: There is a Visitors' Centre outside the prison, which has a rest room and lavatory facilities plus basic childcare facilities such as baby changing and toys. Refreshments and a children's area are available in the Visits Room itself as well as an outside children’s play area.
You may be entitled to help with your travel expenses. Please visit the Assisted Prison Visits Scheme page for more information.
Tues: 09:00 – 11:00
Booking information: Legal visits email: LegalVisits.email@example.com
Additional information: Legal /Special Visits may only be booked for a minimum of 7 days ahead. The mailbox will be checked at 10:00 am. Any email bookings after this time will be processed the following day.
Prison Voicemail service
Social contacts can exchange voicemails
with prisoners through the Prison Voicemail service, which is available at this
establishment. Family members or friends sign up online and are given a unique
landline phone number which they can call at any time to leave messages. The
prisoner dials the same number from within the prison to listen and reply. You
can find more information including pricing at www.prisonvoicemail.com.
How to get there:
- Bus: There are regular buses to and from Weymouth, although not directly to the gate of the YOI. Most frequent is the First Line No. 1 bus, which leaves from the back of Debenhams Department Store in the centre of Weymouth at intervals of approximately ten minutes during weekdays and Saturdays (the service is regular but less frequent on Sundays). This bus drops off at Grove Corner, which is a walk of approximately half a mile from the YOI.
- Train: The nearest railway station is in Weymouth town centre and is about 8 miles from the YOI. The station is a few minutes from the bus stop for the First Line No. 1 bus. There are also taxis available in a rank at the railway station, or from a taxi office directly in front of the railway station. There are numerous other taxi ranks further on into Weymouth town centre.
- Car: From London/South-East: Exit London via the A4 travelling towards Maidenhead. Join the A30 towards Camberley and join the M25 at junction 13. Leave M25 at junction 12 and join the M3 westbound. At junction 4 leave the M3 and join the M27. At junction 1 of M27 join the A31. Travel towards Ringwood. Join the A35 towards Dorchester. Join the A354 towards Weymouth. Travel through Weymouth on the A354 for 5 miles out to the island of Portland. The prison is signposted as HMYOI Portland (be aware that there is another prison on the island of Portland, HMP The Verne, and you should not follow directions for that).
- From Exeter/South-West: Leave Exeter via the A377, heading towards the A30. Turn left onto the A30 heading towards the M5, and join the M5 at junction 31. Leave the M5 at junction 30 and join the A376 heading towards Exmouth. Leave the A376 and join the A3052 heading towards Ottery St. Mary. Stay on the A3052 and pass through Newton Poppleford and Lyme Regis. Leave A3052 and join the A35 heading towards Dorchester. Stay on the A35 through Chideock and Winterbourne Abbas. Leave the A35 and join the A354 heading towards Weymouth. Travel through Weymouth on the A354 for 5 miles out to the island of Portland. The prison is signposted as HMYOI Portland (be aware that there is another prisons on the island of Portland, HMP The Verne, and you should not follow directions for that).
- From Bristol/Wales/the West: Leave Bristol via the A4, and join the A37 heading towards Shepton Mallet. After approximately 22 miles, join the A371 heading towards Castle Cary. After about 6 miles join the B3152 southbound. After about 3 miles join the A359 heading towards Sparkford. Join the A303 towards Ilchester, and then re-join the A359 heading towards Yeovil. Join the B3148 towards Sherborne. At Sherborne join the B3145, and after about a mile join the A352. Travel through Cerne Abbas and then join the A 37. After about half a mile turn right onto the A35, and after approximately 2 miles join the A354 heading towards Weymouth. Travel through Weymouth on the A354 for 5 miles out to the island of Portland. The prison is signposted as HMYOI Portland (be aware that there is another prisons on the island of Portland, HMP The Verne, and you should not follow directions for that).
- Roads into and around Weymouth can become congested, particularly during the summer months.
- Parking for visitors is available, but limited and unsupervised.