Ranby prison visiting information
Visiting information for HMP Ranby can be seen below.
Mon: 14:00 - 16:00
Tue: No visits
Wed: No visits
Thu: No visit
Fri: 14:00 - 16:00
Sat: 09:00 - 11:00 & 14:00 - 16:00
Sun: 09:00 - 11:00 & 14:00 - 16:00
Booking social visits online
To book online, visit: www.gov.uk/prison-visits
All you need is:
- the name and date of birth of the person you are visiting
- their prisoner number
You can choose up to 3 possible dates and times. Prison booking staff will check what’s available and confirm your visit by email.
If you've made an online visit booking request and haven't received a confirmation email within 1-3 working days, please email email@example.com.
Booking social visits by telephone:: Visits must be booked via the Visitors Centre at least 24 hours before the date of the visit. Visits can also be booked through the visits booking line up to a maximum of 28 days in advance. The telephone number is 01777 862107.
The booking line is open Monday to Thursday between 08:30 and 16:00 hours and on Friday between 08:30 and 15:00 hours. The booking line is not open on Christmas Day, Boxing Day, New Year's Day or Good Friday.
Additional information: Visits cannot be booked on the main prison number. There is an “At Risk” telephone hotline available for visitors, families or friends of prisoners. This can be used to contact and inform staff at HMP Ranby if you believe that a prisoner may be at risk of harm, be it self harm, harm from others of harm to others. The telephone number is 01777 862342 and is available 24 hours a day. Visits cannot be booked on this line.
Identification: Visitors to HMP Ranby should be aware that the requirement for correct photographic ID to be produced when visiting any inmate is as follows;
- Passport, including foreign passports, and time expired passports where the photograph is still recognisable
- EU identity card
- Photographic driving licence
- Senior citizen's public transport pass issued by a local authority
- Employer's or student ID card but only if this clearly shows the name of the visitor and the employer or educational establishment, and has a photograph or signature which can be compared with the visitors appearance or signature, and if the employer or educational establishment is known to exist.
If the visitor is unable to produce one of the above, staff may accept combinations of two or more of the following:
- Birth/marriage certificate
- Rail or bus pass with photo
- Cheque book or credit/debit card (counts as one item)
- Employer's pass or ID or student ID card not acceptable under main list
- Young persons 'proof of age' card
- Trade union or national students membership card
- Library card if it has a signature that can be compared with the visitor's signature
- Rent book
- Foreign identity or resident's card (other than EU ID cards acceptable in their own right)
- Expired documents from the above list that appear satisfactory in other ways
E-mail a prisoner dot com:
For a nominal charge prisoners may be contacted via e-mail.
Go to emailaprisoner.com and follow the simple steps to submit your e-mail. We endeavour to process your e-mails in a timeframe where the prisoner receives a printed copy the following day
All visitors are politely reminded that from 31st July 2017 HMP Ranby is Smoke Free. In the interests of Health and Safety for all we request that you respect this initiative when visiting.
When visiting HMP Ranby all visitors are politely reminded to wear clothing that respects decency and is appropriate within a family oriented environment. The Duty Governor holds the right to refuse a visit for anyone considered to be wearing inappropriate attire.
Official Visits are available on Mondays and Thursdays.
Booking official visits
Official Visits can be booked at any time on firstname.lastname@example.org
Additional information: Visits cannot be booked on the main prison line.
Prison Voicemail service
Social contacts can exchange voicemails with prisoners through the Prison Voicemail service, which is available at this establishment. Family members or friends sign up online and are given a unique landline phone number which they can call at any time to leave messages. The prisoner dials the same number from within the prison to listen and reply. You can find more information including pricing at www.prisonvoicemail.com.How to get there:
HMP Ranby is situated about one mile from Ranby village which lies 3 miles from Retford and 6 miles from Worksop on the A620.
- Buses run in both directions along the main Retford to Workshop A620 and stop outside the prison
- Train: Retford lies on the main East Coast Railway line from London Kings Cross to Edinburgh. The station is approximately 3 miles from the prison. Taxis are available at the station.
From the South: exit M1 at junction 30 (A619 Worksop) and follow signs for Worksop; pick up A57 to Retford. Follow the Retford A57 (A1); at large roundabout at junction to main A1 trunk road take the northbound direction and in approx. 2 miles exit on to the A620 Retford road, turning left. Prison is approx. 1 mile along this road on the left hand side. The training unit is directly opposite the prison. (Do not confuse the prison with Ranby village signs which are shown prior to the prison.)
From the North: pick up A1 and stay on this road until exit to Retford A620 is signed. At this junction turn right in direction of Retford and prison lies approx. one mile along road on left hand side