Risley prison visiting information
Mon - Fri: 14:30 - 16:15
Fri - Sun: 09:00 - 11:15
Sat - Sun: 14:00 - 16:30
Booking information: All visits are now booked by prisoners in the establishment. No booking lines in operation. Handouts are available for prisoners to post to new visitors to the establishment with all relevant information.
Additional information: Reasonable access for disabled. Refreshment facilities in Visitors' Centre and Visits area.
You may be entitled to help with your travel expenses. Please visit the Assisted Prison Visits Scheme page for more information.
No admission for AM visits after 10:45 and PM visits after 15:45
Tue and Thu: 09:00 - 11:15
Booking information: Book by e-mail at LegalVisits.Risley@hmps.gsi.gov.uk. Or please telephone 01925 733284 or 01925 733285.
How to get there:
- Bus: From Warrington Bus Station take the 586 or 588 to Leigh. From Leigh Bus Station take the 586 or 588 to Warrington. These services run every hour and stop at the prison. Bus services from Liverpool and Manchester run to both Leigh and Warrington.
- Train: Travel to either Warrington Central (Liverpool/Manchester Line) or Warrington Bank Quay (from other areas). Taxis are available from both stations. It is a short walk to the bus station from either station. Trains to Warrington from Liverpool Lime Street and Manchester Piccadilly where you can connect with the bus service 588 for Leigh.
- Road: From the North West: Travel south on the M6 then at junction 21A turn east onto the M62 towards Manchester. Leave the M62 at the next exit.
- From the South or Midlands: Travel North on the M6 until you reach junction 21A. There are two exits for this junction. Do not take the first (signposted Liverpool), take the second towards Manchester. You will leave the M62 at the next junction. Leave the M62 at junction 11. There is only one road that leads away from this junction, it is signposted Warrington East and Birchwood (A574). You must follow the signs for Leigh (A574). The prison is two miles away and you must negotiate four closely spaced roundabouts. You will pass over the M62 and almost immediately you will see the prison wall on your right. Continue along the main road until you reach the prison entrance.
- There is adequate car parking on the Visitors Car Park.