Risley prison visiting information
Mon-Thurs: 14:00 – 15:45
Sat: 09:15 – 11:15 and 14:00 – 15:45
Sun: 09:15 – 11:15
Please note that it takes time to get all visitors across to the visits hall from the visitor centre, so not all visits will begin at the time stated. All visits will last for a minimum of one hour.
To book on-line, visit www.gov.uk/prison-visits
All you need is the name and date of birth of the person you want to visit, and their prison number. You will be prompted to select up to three possible dates from a calendar. It is not a live system so the date you selected may already be full. The visits booking staff will check availability of those dates and contact you by email, normally within 3 working days. Please note that the person you want to visit will need to add you to their visitor list before your visit can be confirmed.
If you have not received a response after 3 working days, please email SociallVisitsRisley@hmps.gsi.gov.uk
Booking by Telephone
If you would prefer to speak with someone in order to book your visit, please ring either 01925 733284 or 01925 733285, between the hours of 09:00 and 16:00. The phone lines can get very busy, so it is often easier to book on-line.
Assisted Prison Visits
You may be entitled to help with your travel expenses. Please visit the Assisted Prison Visits Scheme page for more information.
Prison Voicemail Service
Voicemails can be exchanged with prisoners through the Prison Voicemail service, which is available at Risley. Friends and family can sign up on-line and are given a unique phone number which they can call to leave a message. The prisoner then rings the same number to listen to the messages and can reply. You can find more information, including pricing, at www.prisonvoicemail.com
Tues and Thurs only: 09:00 – 11:15
To book a professional visit:
Telephone: 01925 733284 or 01925 733285
Disabled car park spaces are available next to the visitor centre. All other visitors should use the visitors’ car park next to the prison. Refreshments are available in both the visitor centre and the visits hall.
Getting to Risley
- Bus: From Warrington Bus Station take the 586 or 588 to Leigh. From Leigh Bus Station take the 586 or 588 to Warrington. These services run every hour and stop at the prison. Bus services from Liverpool and Manchester run to both Leigh and Warrington.
- Train: Travel to either Warrington Central (Liverpool/Manchester Line) or Warrington Bank Quay (from other areas). Taxis are available from both stations. It is a short walk to the bus station from either station. Trains to Warrington from Liverpool Lime Street and Manchester Piccadilly where you can connect with the bus service 588 for Leigh.
- Road: From the North West: Travel south on the M6 then at junction 21A turn east onto the M62 towards Manchester. Leave the M62 at the next exit.
- From the South or Midlands: Travel North on the M6 until you reach junction 21A. There are two exits for this junction. Do not take the first (signposted Liverpool), take the second towards Manchester. You will leave the M62 at the next junction. Leave the M62 at junction 11. There is only one road that leads away from this junction, it is signposted Warrington East and Birchwood (A574). You must follow the signs for Leigh (A574). The prison is two miles away and you must negotiate four closely spaced roundabouts. You will pass over the M62 and almost immediately you will see the prison wall on your right. Continue along the main road until you reach the prison entrance.
- There is adequate car parking on the visitor car park.