Rochester prison visiting information
Mon - Fri: 14:00-16:00
Sat: 09:15-11:15 & 14:00-16:00
The Visits Center is open from 13:00 and Saturday from 8.45am for morning visits.
Please be aware that the booking line number and the email address has changed – apologies for any inconvenience caused.
All visits must be booked in advance on 01634 803237 or by e-mail www.gov.uk/prison-visits . The web site is suitable for use on tablets, smart phones, PCs and laptops. This service is in addition to the telephone booking line.
Booking line is open from 08.30-11.30 Monday to Thursday
All you need is:
- the name and date of birth of the person you are visiting
- their prisoner number
You can choose up to 3 possible dates and times. Prison booking staff will check what’s available and confirm your visit by email. You’ll also receive your visiting order (VO) number by email. You must bring this with you when you visit.
The Visits Booking line is closed on Bank Holidays, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays.
Additional information: The visitors' centre provides toilets and play area facilities.
You may be entitled to help with your travel expenses. Please visit the Prison Visits Scheme page for more information.
Booking information: Tel: 01634 803350 or email: LegalVisits.Rochester@hmps.gsi.gov.uk
Legal visits booking line is open from 13.00 till 15.30 hours
Visitors’ Centre provides toilets and play area facilities.
Escort Area/Contractor: South East: Geo Amey PECS Limited
Local Authority: County: Medway District: Medway
Probation Service: Kent
Latest HMCIP Report: June 2011
Independent Monitoring Board: Chair Mr Euan Eddie
Prison Voicemail service
Social contacts can exchange voicemails with prisoners through the Prison Voicemail service, which is available at this establishment. Family members or friends sign up online and are given a unique landline phone number which they can call at any time to leave messages. The prisoner dials the same number from within the prison to listen and reply. You can find more information including pricing at www.prisonvoicemail.com.
How to get there: The prison is situated near the town of Rochester.
- Bus: Take the No. 145 and ask for Bridge Wardens public house. Cross the road, and walk up the alleyway. You will then come to a ‘Shell' petrol station. Cross the Road and walk up the hill. The prison is straight ahead.
- Train: The journey from London Victoria to Rochester takes approximately 1 hour. The journey can be completed by taxi.
- Car: Exit M2 at junction 3 and follow signs for Chatham; at 3rd roundabout take first turning left signposted Borstal. After approx. 2 miles, turn left (opposite petrol station) into Sir Evelyn Road. This road leads to the prison estate – Rochester Prison lies ahead to right of Cookham Wood Prison.
- Follow signs for Visitor's Car Park.
HMP Rochester welcomes friends and families of the individuals held in custody at Rochester. It is with this in mind, that we ask all visitors to adhere to our behaviour expectations and dress code. The Visits Hall is a family area and as such, all visitors are asked to present appropriately and behave in a decent and respectful manner throughout their visits. A full list of expectations is available on request when using the booking line.