Sheppey Cluster (Elmley) prison visiting information
HMP Elmley visits centre refurbishment
Please note that from 17 to 28 July 2017 the visits centre will be closed for a full refurbishment. This will include:
- An outside play area for children
- Upgrade of furniture in the centre
- Full paint project
- Upgraded tea bar facilities
- Refurbishment of toilet areas
- Refurbishment of outside areas including plants/greenery and seating areas
- Upgrade of indoor children’s area with new toys and television areas
- Soft seating area for those with small children and babies
- Art created by men in the prison art class will be displayed
- A ‘treasure trail’ for children as part of the visits experience
Please note the following for this two week period:
- Limited parking will be available during this two week period
- Hot and cold drinks and cold snacks will be available but no hot food will be served until the centre re-opens on Monday 31st July 2017
- There will be limited locker space so please keep personal items to a minimum
- There will be portakabins for a waiting area
- There will be toilet facilities including disabled access
- Staff will be on hand to assist when needed
The newly refurbished centre will re-open on Monday 31 July 2017.
Monday - Sunday: 14.00 – 15.30
Booking information: Pre-book visits on 0300 060 6605. Sheppey Group Visits Booking opening hours are 0900 hours to 16:00 hours Monday to Friday, or book online at www.gov.uk/prison-visits.
Visit centre opening times 12:00-16:00.
There is an unsupervised children's play area; and a refreshment bar is also available, in the visits hall.
There is disabled access to the prison and also disabled parking. There is free parking for visitors.
A booklet is available in the visit centre with all details you will need.
New receptions will need to book visits 24 hours in advance, the cut off time is 11:00 hrs the day prior to the visit. For visits on Saturday, Sunday or Monday this must be carried out by 11:00 am on the Friday prior.
Clothes can be brought in within 28 days of prisoner entering the establishment.
Money can be sent in by cheque, postal order or cash can be sent in by special delivery.
You may be entitled to help with your travel expenses. Please visit the Assisted prison visits scheme page for more details.
Monday – Friday 09:00–11:45 & 14:15–16:15.
Booking by e-mail only: firstname.lastname@example.org
How to get there:
- Bus: ABBA Coaches provide a coach service from London Victoria to HMP Elmley (intermittent service Wednesday and Saturday only). Please contact ABBA directly on 07768698082
Chalkwell Coaches (Tel 0870 6082608 or the booking line 01795 423982) run a coach leaving Sittingbourne railway station at 12.10 am Monday to Friday, arriving at Elmley at 12:36. The return service leaves Elmley at 16:40, arriving at Sittingbourne at 17:06.
- Train: Take a Sheerness-bound train and alight at Sheerness station. The prison is 8 miles from the station. Bus and taxi services run from the station are available to the prison.
- Car: Follow A249 signposted to Sittingbourne and Sheerness, then over the bridge to the Isle of Sheppey. At the end of the dual carriage go straight across first roundabout, on the second roundabout take the third turning Towards Minster and Eastchurch. Go straight across at the next roundabout and stay on the Lower Road until you come to another roundabout. Take the second turning, continue a short distance to the next roundabout and take the third turning towards the prison (signposted). Continue down the road where you will see a mini roundabout. Go straight across and follow the road to the bottom. There are 5 traffic calmers, and Elmley prison is at the end of the road on the left.
- Parking : spaces are available.