Sheppey Cluster (Elmley) prison visiting information
Monday - Sunday: 14.00 – 15.30
Booking information: Pre-book visits on 0300 060 6605. Sheppey Group Visits Booking opening hours are 0900 hours to 16:00 hours Monday to Friday, or book online at www.gov.uk/prison-visits.
All visitors will be required to provide proof of identification as follows:
Adults (over 18) one form of ID form list 1 or two forms of ID from list 2
- C Identity card
- Driving license
- Benefits book
- Senior citizens public transport photo pass issued by local authority,
Employers or Student ID card but only if it clearly shows the name of the visitor and the employer or educational establishment, and has a photograph or signature which can be compared with the visitors appearance or signature, and if the Foreign Nationals identity card.
- Birth/Marriage certificate,
- Cheque book or credit/debit card (counts as one; do not accept as two),
- Employer’s pass or ID or Student ID card not acceptable under list 1.
- Young Person’s ‘proof of age’ card,
- Trade union or National Students’ membership card,
- Rent book,
- Foreign identity or residents’ card (other then EC ID cards acceptable in their own right)
- Expired documents from the above lists that appear satisfactory in other ways,
- ID card from a recognised prison visitors’ organisation (e.g. New Bridge),
- Citizen card.
Children’s acceptable ID
- Birth Certificate,
- Student card,
- If under 6 weeks old then a red book.
At HMP Elmley we try to encourage a family atmosphere, and this includes acceptable dress wear during our visits. We hope you will support us in the approach we are trying to encourage.
Clothing not allowed into visits:
- Steel toe cap boots,
- No headwear except for religious or cultural headwear,
- No displaying the mid-rift area,
- No scarfs or neck wear which would cover the head area,
- No see through clothing,
- No skirts that are exceptionally short (i.e. displaying the whole of the thighs)
- No cleavage on show,
- No hoodies,
- Vests as a single garment,
- No shorts (whereby all of the thighs are on show)
Visit center opening times 12:00-16:00.
There is an unsupervised children's play area; and a refreshment bar is also available, in the visits hall.
There is disabled access to the prison and also disabled parking. There is free parking for visitors.
A booklet is available in the visit center with all details you will need.
New receptions will need to book visits 24 hours in advance, the cut off time is 11:00 hrs the day prior to the visit. For visits on Saturday, Sunday or Monday this must be carried out by 11:00 am on the Friday prior.
Clothes can be brought in within 50 days of prisoner entering the establishment.
Money can be sent in by cheque (made payable to the Governor), postal order or cash can be sent in by special delivery.
You may be entitled to help with your travel expenses. Please visit the Assisted prison visits scheme page for more details.
Monday – Friday 09:00–11:45 & 14:15–16:15.
Booking by e-mail only: firstname.lastname@example.org
How to get there:
- Bus: ABBA Coaches provide a coach service from London Victoria to HMP Elmley (intermittent service Wednesday and Saturday only). Please contact ABBA directly on 07768698082
Chalkwell Coaches (Tel 0870 6082608 or the booking line 01795 423982) run a coach leaving Sittingbourne railway station at 12.10 am Monday to Friday, arriving at Elmley at 12:36. The return service leaves Elmley at 16:40, arriving at Sittingbourne at 17:06.
- Train: Take a Sheerness-bound train and alight at Sheerness station. The prison is 8 miles from the station. Bus and taxi services run from the station are available to the prison.
- Car: Follow A249 signposted to Sittingbourne and Sheerness, then over the bridge to the Isle of Sheppey. At the end of the dual carriage go straight across first roundabout, on the second roundabout take the third turning Towards Minster and Eastchurch. Go straight across at the next roundabout and stay on the Lower Road until you come to another roundabout. Take the second turning, continue a short distance to the next roundabout and take the third turning towards the prison (signposted). Continue down the road where you will see a mini roundabout. Go straight across and follow the road to the bottom. There are 5 traffic calmers, and Elmley prison is at the end of the road on the left.
- Parking : spaces are available.