Stafford Prison information
A closed training prison for category C male prisoners. HMP Stafford was first opened in 1793 as the New Staffordshire Gaol and although some of the original building remains, the present establishment is mainly Victorian (notably the Main Hall and Crescent wings).
The prison was closed between 1916 and 1939, reopening at the outbreak of the second world war to house both males and females. The female section of the prison closed within a few years of reopening, and for many years afterwards HMP Stafford held young offenders as well as adults.
Modern buildings include a Reception/Visits block, Education department, Kitchen, a 40 bed house block and a new sports hall. A site adjacent to the prison was also purchased and developed as an Industrial Workshop complex in 1986. All the living accommodation has been refurbished.
54 Gaol Road
Tel: 01785 773000
Fax: 01785 773001
Governor: Bridie Oakes-Richards
Accommodation: Cellular – mainly double accommodation (Victorian)
Four cell blocks - Main Hall (A/B/C wings), Crescent (E/F wings), D wing and G wing, all have integral sanitation. All 4 cell blocks reflect the era of their construction even though recently modified. Facilities for dining out of cell are on G wing only. PIN phones in all living areas.
Category: C male
Reception criteria: Normal reception arrangements
Operational capacity: 741 as of 1st May 2009