Usk/Prescoed (Usk) Prison information
HMP Usk/Prscoed is the amalgamation of HMP Usk and HMP Prescoed.
Usk has a long and varied history as a penal establishment, opening in 1844 as a House of Correction. In 1870 after the addition of other buildings, it became the County Gaol for Monmouthshire. It remained in that role until 1922 when it closed, reopening in 1939 as a Closed Borstal and continued in that role until 1964 when it became a Detention Centre. In 1983 Usk became a Youth Custody Centre and from 1988 to 1990 a YOI. In may 1990 it became an Adult Cat C establishment for Vulnerable Prisoners and continues in that role today.
47 Maryport Street
Tel: 01291 671600
Fax: 01291 671752
Governor: Steve Cross
Accommodation: Three wings, A, B and C in two storey block. Majority of double cells, 1 dormitory, all with simple integral sanitation. Showers are available on all residential units. Additional accommodation is located on Comber Unit, a 20 bed ground floor unit opened in May 2003; allocation to Comber Unit is by application. All prisoners have access to in cell TV and limited disabled facilities. There is wheelchair access to most ground floor areas.
Operational Capacity: 250 as of 18th August 2008
- Security category C or D
- A Sex offender (ideally not in denial).
- A minimum of 6 months left to serve.
- Prisoners subject to an open ACCT document may be considered following a joint case review that considers the impact, on the prisoner, of transfer (as per PSO2700 ch.6.2.5).
- The prisoner must have no less than 9 months to their tariff expiry date i.e. prior to the commencement of the parole process.
- Minimum Incentive Earned Privilege level of standard
- Engaging positively in the sentence planning process
- The prisoner must have an updated OASys supervision plan
- OASys objectives must indicate that the prisoner requires a core intervention available at HMP Usk (Assessment, SOTP core or adapted, ETS, A to Z motivation Life course or one to one work with Psychology)
A basic information request from our Healthcare Dept should be completed to ensure HMP Usk can meet the prisoner's healthcare needs(see attached HCC criteria). Prisoners outside this criteria will be discussed by the sender Establishment and the H.O.R. Usk or Dep. Governor.