Verne prison visiting information
Booking information: Visits can be booked seven days a week between 17:45-19:45 - Direct line 01305 825 196.
Additional information: No visits accepted if not pre-booked. All visitors must present appropriate identification. No staffed Visitors Centre, but waiting room with toilets and vending machines. Canteen and children's play area. Disabled toilets and stair lift available. Family visits take place every three months.
You may be entitled to help with your travel expenses. Please visit the Assisted Prison Visits Scheme page for more information.
Thu: 13:30-15:30 only
Booking information: Visits can be booked on 01305 825 057 between 09:00-11:45 & 14:00-15:45.
How to get there:
- Train: To Weymouth, then service bus from King's Statue, Weymouth to Victoria Square, Portland. Then taxi. Or bus route 7A from Weymouth (back of Debenhams) to The Verne
- Bus: National Express, then 7A bus from Weymouth (back of Debenhams) to The Verne
- From London: Take Bournemouth/Dorchester directions to M3 * M27; from M27 take A31 Dorchester direction; at Dorchester follow A354 Weymouth direction; at Weymouth follow A354 Portland signs; at Harbour Roundabout take the second exit onto Rodwell Road – A354 (signposted Portland). At mini-roundabout continue forward onto Rodwell Road – A354 (signposted Portland). Continue forward onto Buxton Road – A354. Entering Wyke Regis. At Foord's Corner Roundabout take the first exit onto Portland Road – A354 (signposted Portland). At Chesil Beach Roundabout take the second exit onto Portland Road – A354 (signposted Portland). At roundabout take the second exit onto Portland Beach Road – A354. At Victoria Square roundabout take the second exit onto Victoria Square – A354. Bear left onto Victory Road – A354 (signposted Through Traffic). At Cadets Corner bear right onto Castle Road (signposted Fortuneswell, Easton). Bear right onto Castle Road – A354. Entering Fortuneswell. Turn left onto Verne Common Road (signposted HM Prison The Verne)
- From Birmingham/Bristol: Leave M5 at Taunton exit. Follow signs to Yeovil, then Dorchester, then Weymouth. At A354 follow directions above
- Visitors parking is just beyond the turning for the large staff car park.