Verne IRC visiting information
Visits to Detainees, both social and legal, are not required to be booked in advance. Visitors are required to provide the following forms of identification to be allowed passage into visits:
One of the following;
- Passport, including foreign passports and travel document recognised by HM Government
- European Community identity card
- Photographic driving license; both paper and photograph sections required
TWO of the following;
- Birth/marriage certificate
- Rail/bus pass with photograph
- Employers I.D. or student card
- Young persons proof of age card
- Trade union membership card
- Senior Citizen travel pass issued by local authority
- Benefits book
- UK Border Agency ARC car (asylum support application registration card)
- SAL (Standard acknowledgment letter)
- Household bills
Visits opening times
Monday: 09:00 to 16:30
Tuesday: 09:00 to 20:00
Wednesday: 09:00 to 20:00
Thursday: 09:00 to 16:30
Friday: 09:00 to 16:30
Saturday: 09:00 to 11:45, 13:45 to 16:15
Sunday: 09:00 to 11:45, 13:45 to 16:15
Last entry to visits is 30 mins before the end of the session (i.e 19:30 on a Tuesday or 11:15 on a Saturday morning).
Bus: Take Service 1 and Service 10 from Weymouth Esplanade to Old Police Station Portland (Verne Common Road). There is a further 15-20 min walk required up a steep hill to reach The Verne.
Train: Alight at Weymouth Train Station. Additional transport will be required for the further 7 miles to The Verne.
Car: Take the A354 from Dorchester, through Weymouth to Portland. After Victoria Square on Portland, take a left turn onto Verne Common Road and follow the winding road up to the IRC. Visitors Parking is available; please do not use the Staff Car Park.
Taxi: Weyline Taxis (Opposite Weymouth Train Station) offer competitive, fixed-rate travel to IRC The Verne.
Property storage for visits
Lockers are available for personal items; a refundable £1 coin is required for use. We have secure areas available for luggage, prams and buggies. Please speak with staff at the North Gate on arrival for assistance.
Video link information
Video Link is currently only permitted for Home Office and Immigration Tribunal Courts.