Wetherby Prison information


A former Naval Base, HMYOI Wetherby was introduced into the Prison System in 1958 as a Borstal. Since that time there have been many changes in its role from an open Youth Custody Centre, to a closed Youth Custody Centre, to its current role as a dedicated Male Young Person Centre housing 336 trainees aged between 15 & 17 years.

Currently Wetherby is one of four establishments the Youth Justice Board (YJB) commission from the National Offender Management Service (NOMS) to provide specialist custodial places for young people aged 15 - 18.

Within NOMS, the Young People’s Estate has responsibility for the management and operational delivery of all under-18 Young Offender Institutions (YOIs). The Youth Justice Board (YJB) commission around 900 places for young men, making it the biggest provider of secure accommodation for young people in England and Wales.

The vision of the Young People’s Estate is:

"To give young people the best chance to turn their lives around by providing them with safe, decent and secure environments that focus on education and personal development and empower them to make positive change, successfully return to the community and lead law-abiding lives."

York Road
West Yorkshire
LS22 5ED

Tel: 01937 544 200
Fax: 01937 544 201

Governor: Andrew Dickinson

Accommodation: All living accommodation is in single occupancy cells. The living accommodation is split into 5 living units housing 60 trainees on each.

Keppel unit is an enhanced needs unit holding up to 48 young people. This is a national resource and looks after young people who find it difficult to manage in normal accommodation due to issues ranging from learning, physical, mental health issues.

Operational Capacity: 336

Reception Criteria: Sentenced and remanded young people aged 15–18 as directed by the courts.

Latest inspection report: HMYOI Wetherby and Keppel - July 2018 (PDF)

Action plan: HMYOI Wetherby and Keppel - October 2018 (PDF)

Her Majesty's Prison & Probation Service


Get email alerts
Find a form
Find a court form