Winchester prison visiting information
Please note: All visitors are required to present a form of photographic identification when they arrive at HMP Winchester. If you are unable to do so, seek advice from the member of staff on the booking line appropriate to your visit (details below).
Mon-Sun: 14:00 - 16:00
Booking online: To book online, visit: www.gov.uk/prison-visits
All you need is:
- the name and date of birth of the person you are visiting
- their prisoner number.
You can choose up to 3 possible dates and times. Prison booking staff will check what’s available and confirm your visit by email.
If you've made an online visit booking request and haven't received a confirmation email within 1-3 working days, please email email@example.com
Telephone booking: All visits must be booked 24 hours in advance. Please ensure you have all details of the prisoner you wish to visit and all Visiting Order information required.
Call the specially provided low rate number on 0345 2235514 between 10am-12noon Monday-Friday. Provides access to Main Prison and West Hill Unit visit lines.
Additional information: Remand visits last 45mins with 2 sessions in the afternoon. Convicted visits last 1hr 30mins with 1 session each afternoon. Remand prisoner may have a visit daily subject to space. Convicted prisoners may have 2 visits per month on standard regime. Inter prison visits must be booked with OCA some limited visitor parking available.
You may be entitled to help with your travel expenses. Please visit the Assisted Prison Visits Scheme page for more information.
Mon-Fri: 09:00 - 11:30 & 14:00 - 16:30
Booking information: Book in advance only on 01962 723 129.
Additional information: Winchester is also on the courts video link system and hence are able to conduct some conferences via the link. Some limited visitor parking available. Please contact the prison for more details.
Prison Voicemail service
Social contacts can exchange voicemails with prisoners through the Prison Voicemail service, which is available at this establishment. Family members or friends sign up online and are given a unique landline phone number which they can call at any time to leave messages. The prisoner dials the same number from within the prison to listen and reply. You can find more information including pricing at www.prisonvoicemail.com.
How to get there:
HMP Winchester is located a short distance from Winchester town centre up a fairly steep hill. It is directly opposite the Royal Hampshire County Hospital.
- Bus: National Coaches have regular links to many parts of the country. A local Stagecoach bus service, (service 5) passes the main gate from the centre of town and also serves Winchester Rail Station. The service operates every 10 minutes Monday-Saturday. Approx £1 for an adult single ticket.
- Park & Ride: Another way to get to the Prision by car is to use the Winchester Park & Ride facility. The 'South' car park is located at M3 Junction 11 and has buses running into the city at least every 15 minutes. The buses stop very close to the Prison and visitors need to alight at the hospital stop.
- Rail: Regular rail links to London and Southampton. Usual taxi services also available from the station or get bus service 5 (as above).
- Car: Access available from the M3 Junction 9, 10 or 11 and A34. Follow signs to the town centre then follow the Hospital (H) Signs for A&E.
- Due to car parking facilities being unavailable in the immediate vicinity of the prison, visitors are advised to park in City Centre car parks. The prison is then approximately a 15 minute walk, or can be accessed by frequent bus services (see above). Visitors with mobility problems should contact the prison for advice.