Claims and fees

Visit GOV.UK to find out about taking your employer to an employment tribunal.

Before you apply to a tribunal

See if there is another way to solve the problem before you apply to a tribunal – eg using a grievance procedure.

From 6 April 2014 you should contact Acas (Advisory, Conciliation and Arbitration Service) before you apply to an employment tribunal. Someone from Acas will work with you and your employer to try to solve the problem at work. This is known as conciliation. The service is confidential and Acas won’t take sides. You can phone Acas for help and advice on 0300 123 1100.

Nearly everyone should contact Acas before applying to a tribunal. If you think you don’t need to, you may want to get legal advice before you start your claim.

The clock stops on your time limit for applying to a tribunal while Acas tries to settle your dispute.'

If you still want to make a claim to a tribunal, Acas will give you an early conciliation certificate number for your claim form.

Online claims

You can apply online. For help and guidance, read ’Making a claim to an employment tribunal (T420)’. This guide is available in Braille, audio, large print and on disk. Please contact our Public Enquiry Line:

England & Wales: 0300 123 1024

Scotland: 0141 354 8574

for assistance with leaflets.

Check the jurisdiction list to confirm you have grounds to make a claim.


Fees are payable when you make an employment tribunal claim.

Leaflets explaining what you need to know about fees and remissions and how to pay them are available:

If sending a fee by post, or by delivering it by hand, please make cheques or postal orders payable to HM Courts & Tribunals Service.

Please note: do not send cash by post as we cannot guarantee it will arrive safely.

HM Courts & Tribunals Service


Get email alerts
Find a form
Find a court form