Environment Tribunal guidance
The Environment jurisdiction has been created to hear appeals for civil sanctions or designation notices and the refusal of applications to act as a green deal assessor certification body or a green deal installer certification body.
Appeals are made to the General Regulatory Chamber of the First–tier Tribunal.
The Environment jurisdiction is operated and governed under the existing specific General Regulatory Chamber Rules. Users have their cases heard by judicial specialists trained to hear their specific appeals.A summary of respondents’ views and the Government’s response and the Government guidance to regulators on use of civil sanctions, can be found on the The Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) website.
The Regulatory Enforcement and Sanctions Act 2008 contains enabling powers to introduce civil sanctions. These civil sanctions, designation notices and certification refusals are introduced under the following Statutory Instruments':
- The Environmental Civil Sanctions (England) Order 2010
- The Environmental Sanctions (Misc. Amendments) (England) Regulations 2010)
- The Environmental Civil Sanctions (Wales) Order 2010
- The Environmental Civil Sanctions (Miscellaeneous Amendments) (Wales) Regulations 2010
- The Ecodesign for Energy-Using Products (Amendment) (Civil Sanctions) Regulations 2010
- The Ecodesign for Energy-Using Products (Amendment) Regulations 2009
- The Ecodesign for Energy-Using Products Regulations 2007
- The Ecodesign for Energy-Related Products (Amendment) Regulations 2011
- The Energy Information Regulations 2011
- The Single Use Carrier Bags Charge (Wales) Regulations 2010
- The Marine Licensing (Notices Appeals) Regulations 2011
- The Marine Licensing (Civil Sanctions) (Wales) Order 2011
- The Marine Licensing (Notices Appeals) (Wales) Regulations 2011
- The Flood and Coastal Erosion Risk Management Information Appeal (Wales) Regulations 2011
- The Waste (England and Wales) Regulation 2011
- The Nitrate Pollution Prevention (Amendment) Regulations 2012
- Coast Protection England and Wales, Environmental Protection England and Wales, Flood Risk Management England and Wales, The Designation of Features Appeal Regulations 2012
- The Green Deal Framework (Disclosure, Acknowledgment, Redress etc) Regulations 2012
- The Climate Change Agreements (Administration) Regulations 2012
- The Greenhouse Gas Emissions Trading Scheme Regulations 2012
- The Single Use Carrier Bags Charge Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2013
If you would like to attend a hearing please contact the First-tier Tribunal (Environment) administrative offices.
A panel composed of the Tribunal judge and up to two other members, all appointed by the Lord Chancellor, hear appeals at venues across England, Wales and Scotland. The oral hearings are open to the public.