Gender Recognition Panel guidance

Marriage (Same Sex Couples)  Act 2013

The first marriages of same sex couples took place on Saturday 29 March 2014. This follows the passing of the Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Act 2013, which received Royal Assent on 17 July 2013.

The government has confirmed that the gender recognition provisions of the Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Act 2013 will come in to force on 10th December 2014, subject to Parliamentary approval. 

The Scottish Government has announced that the first marriages of same sex couples in Scotland will take place  on 31 December 2014. This follows the passing of the Marriage and Civil Partnership (Scotland) Act 2014, which received Royal Assent on  12 March 2014.  The gender recognition provisions under the Scottish Act are expected to come into force on 16 December 2014.  

A notice will be appearing soon on the Gender Recognition Panel's website about when the new forms and associated guidance will be available to applicants and the date from when people can submit the new forms.

However, all applications under the new provisions will be deemed to have been made on (or after) 10 December (16 December for those affected by the Scottish Act), the date on which the new gender recognition provisions will come into force.  Applications under the new provisions  will not be considered until after this date. 

Anyone who wishes to submit an application under the new provisions should do so using the new application forms and statutory declarations. Please note if you apply before the 10 December (16 December) on the old forms, then your application will be treated as having been made under the existing gender recognition provisions.    

The Gender Recognition Panel is continuing to work closely with officials from those departments who will also be delivering the changes.  

Access a short question & answer document, which you may find helpful.   

About us 

The Gender Recognition Panel was established under the Gender Recognition Act 2004 to assess applications from transsexual people for legal recognition in their acquired gender.

There are two parts to the Panel:

  • The administrative team who support the judicial members and
  • The judicial members who assess applications for Gender Recognition Certificates.

The Panel has eleven members, made up of the following:

  • a President;
  • a Deputy President;
  • three Legal members, and
  • six Medical members.

The President of the Gender Recognition Panel is Jeremy Bennett and the Deputy President is Pauline Gray.

Panel members are recruited according to the guidelines set out in Schedule 1 of the Gender Recognition Act 2004.

The Panel is able to provide advice on how to apply for Gender Recognition as well as the application process. They are also able to provide the relevant application forms and guidance.

User Group

The user group aims to provide an opportunity for you to discuss matters relating to our, non case specific, operations and processes with representatives from the Panel and administration. This feedback helps us improve the services we provide.

If you wish to attend a meeting please email us, however please note, that we may not be able to accept all requests to attend if a meeting is over subscribed. We are not able to pay for any travel costs for attendance to these meetings.

If you are not able to attend a meeting but would still like to raise any issues for the user group, please email us with full details of your questions. The GRP are currently reviewing all forms and guidance notes.

Customer Satisfaction Survey

The Gender Recognition Panel undertook a Customer Satisfaction Survey during spring 2010. Customers receiving the final decision from the panel were invited to complete and return a questionnaire. The results were very positive, with 100% of respondents who took part, stating that they were satisfied with the administrative process (100% of respondents stated that they were "very or fairly satisfied").

It was clear though from customers’ comments that parts of the process were still not as straightforward as they should be and below are some frequently asked questions:

  • "Keeping Applicants Informed"
    We are currently reviewing the processes involved in keeping applicants informed of the progress of applications. 
  • Medical Reports, Clear guidelines and more advice on how to obtain medical reports A & B"
    Full guidance on requirement can be found at on these pages. If you require further advice, please contact the administration.
  • "Location of the statutory declaration"
    We will shortly be undertaking a full review of the application form and guidance notes. Moving the location of the statutory declaration to follow section 7 is one item being considered in the review.
HM Courts & Tribunals Service


Get email alerts
Find a form
Find a court form