Gender Recognition Panel Recommended websites

The General Recognition Panel is not responsible for the contents or reliability of the linked websites and do not necessarily endorse the views expressed within them. We cannot guarantee that these links will work all of the time and we have no control over availability of the linked pages.

Government departments

  • Ministry of Justice
    The Ministry of Justice is responsible for the policy on gender recognition and for the Gender Recognition Act 2004.
  • The Government Equalities Office
    The Government Equalities Office is responsible for policy on discrimination on the ground of gender reassignment and the Sex Discrimination Act 1975.
  • Department for Work and Pensions
    The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) is responsible for welfare reform. Its aim is to promote opportunity and independence for all. It delivers support and advice through a modern network of services to people of working age, employers, pensioners, families and children and disabled people.
  • England and Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland
    These General Register Offices give you information about how to register a birth or death, how to go about getting married, how to obtain a birth certificate, a marriage certificate or a death certificate.
  • UK Sport
    UK Sport promotes the highest standards of sporting conduct and explores its wider social applications. It is preparing guidance, with the Department for Culture, Media and Sport, to assist sporting bodies in dealing with the Gender Recognition Act 2004 and its consequences.
  • Equality and Human Rights Commission
    The Equality and Human Rights Commission have a statutory remit to promote and monitor human rights; and to protect, enforce and promote equality across the nine "protected" grounds - age, disability, gender, race, religion and belief, pregnancy and maternity, marriage and civil partnership, sexual orientation and gender reassignment.

Credit reference agencies

The three UK credit reference agencies (CRAs) hold information about virtually every UK adult. Under section 7 of the Data Protection Act, you are entitled to see a copy of the information the CRAs hold on you. This is called your credit report. Because your credit report will probably show a link between your current and former names, the three CRAs have each arranged a special service to help Transsexual people manage the information on their report.

You can get an advice pack from any of the CRAs websites or confidential helplines:

Other organisations

Please note: These are independent organisations - the Gender Recognition Panel takes no responsibility for any material that may be contained within these sites.

  • Depend:
    An organisation offering free, confidential and non-judgemental advice, information and support to all family members, partners, spouses and friends of transsexual people.
  • Equal Opportunities Commission:
    The Equal Opportunities Commission is the leading agency working to eliminate sex discrimination in 21st Century Britain. That includes discrimination on the basis of transsexualism.
  • FtM Network:
    Offers advice and support to 'female-to-male' transsexuals and transgender people, and to families and professionals.
  • Gender Trust:
    Offers advice and support for transsexual and transgendered people and to partners, families, carers and allied professionals.
  • GIRES (Gender Identity Research and Education Society):
    Exists to promote and communicate research that improves the lives of people affected by gender identity and intersex issues.
  • GRA-info:
    A website designed by bodies representing the trans community to ease the process of applying for gender recognition through the processes laid down in the Gender Recognition Act.
  • Mermaids:
    Offers support and information for children and teenagers who are trying to cope with gender identity issues and for their families and carers.
  • NAPF Website:
    NAPF promotes workplace pensions. Its priority is to ensure a regulatory and fiscal environment which encourages the provision and take up of employer-sponsored pensions, as well as sound stewardship of pension fund assets.
  • Press for Change:
    Campaigns for equal civil rights for transsexual and transgendered people. Also provides legal help and advice for individuals.
  • Scottish Equality Network:
    Campaigns for Human Rights for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) people in Scotland.
  • The Beaumont Society:
    Provides advice and support for transsexual and transvestite people.
  • The Beaumont Trust:
    The Beaumont Trust is a charitable educational resource for medical, voluntary and lay people who wish to increase their knowledge on the subjects of transsexualism and transvestism.
  • Trades Union Congress:
    TUC policy is to campaign for equal treatment for all workers, including the rights of trans workers.
  • Transsexual UK:
    ‘Transsexual’ UK aims to 'build bridges' between ‘trans’ people and their allies to clubs, groups, individuals, information, organisations, professionals and resources within the United Kingdom and beyond.
HM Courts & Tribunals Service


Get email alerts
Find a form
Find a court form