Youth Justice National Learning and Skills Framework
It encompasses the following activities for the YJB:
- Maintaining and developing the YJB’s set of Continual Professional Development (CPD) resources
- Influencing and shaping the wider strategic context in which the sector seeks and obtains advice and support in relation to the skills of the youth justice workforce
- Working with education providers to ensure that a range of academic and professional qualifications is available and accessible to those already within and those wishing to join the youth justice workforce
- Ensuring that the YJB gives the best possible advice to the sector in relation to workforce development matters Reflects the core principles and application of Effective Practice
- Supports front line staff to access resources and programmes to enhance their knowledge, learning and skills.
- Encompasses the toolkits and other resources that have been designed for the dissemination of effective practice
Workforce Development Board
- Consists of representatives from the YJ system, national bodies (e.g. Skills for Justice) and YJB leads
- Oversee and review the development, implementation and intended outcomes of the WD Strategy
- Ensures that positive links are maintained with the YJ system and stakeholders.
- Local authorities and secure establishments are responsible for the development of their YJ workforce
Continuing Professional Development (CPD) training resources
- The Youth Justice Interactive Learning Space (YJILS) is available to all the Youth Justice Workforce.
- CPD for staff in secure settings has been in the form of the Juvenile Awareness Staff Programme (JASP) which is being revised and updated.
- Learning and Development programmes for the SCH and STC workforce normally contain a range of information about fundamental youth justice areas but vary in content and each provider submits a training outline when a bid for a new contract is evaluated.
Youth Justice Skills and Competences are drawn from a variety of structures – these are
- YJ National Occupational Standards
- Social Work Professional Competency Framework
- Secure estate Core Competences
- The Professional Certificate in Effective Practice in the Youth Justice Degree (OU)
- The Effective Practice Certificate
- National Vocational Qualifications – Youth Justice, Custodial Care, Social Care
Local Partnership Advisers and Secure Monitors
- Support YJ teams in their responsibility to develop and assess the skills of their workforce and provide appropriate learning opportunities
- Give advice about professional YJ qualifications
- Inform and advise about continuing professional development opportunities
- Feedback identified training needs and WD issues to lead at YJB