Stocken prison visiting information
We offer the minimum of a one hour visit, but we aim to bring visitors and prisoners in as quickly as we can to provide the maximum visits time. We recognize visitors travel for a long time and how important visits are for prisoners, families and significant others.
- Wednesday: Visits take place between 09:00 -11:00 and between 14:45 – 16:00
- Thursday: 14:45 – 16:00 (Visitors to be booked in by 14:30 for last entry at 14:45)
- Sat & Sun: 09:15 - 11:15 & 14:45 - 16:00 (visitors to be booked in by 10:00 for last entry at 10:15) and (Visitors to be booked in by 14:30 for last entry at 14:45)
Book online, visit: www.gov.uk/prison-visits
Please be advised that online bookings using your mobile phone do not always send the request successfully to the establishment, therefore we recommend you use a Desktop or Laptop when booking online. If you are unsure about whether your request has successfully been received then please contact the appropriate Visit Booking Line.
All you need is:
- the name and date of birth of the person you are visiting
- their prisoner number.
You can choose up to 3 possible dates and times. Prison booking staff will check what's available and confirm your visit by email.
If you've made an online visit booking request and haven't received a confirmation email within 1-3 working days, please call 01780 795156 which is open Monday to Friday, 10.00 to 13:00.
Additional information: Please be aware that you will not be allowed into the Visits Room after 10:30 in the morning and 15:00 in the afternoon.
You may be entitled to help with your travel expenses. Please visit the Assisted Prison Visits Scheme page for more information.
To amend a visit you can call 01780 795156 or email email@example.com.
Visiting Orders: Prisoners who still wish to send out VOs can do so, however there is no longer a need for the VO to be presented as a proof for a visit as this is recorded on the P-Nomis Visits booking list.
There are three types of visiting order.
- White - Statutory
May be used at any visits session. They are valid for 28 days from the date of issue.
- Yellow - Privileged
May be used on Wednesday & Thursday afternoons and Saturday & Sunday mornings only.
- Pink - Closed
For closed visits
For prisoners recently transferred into HMP Stocken, one visiting order from their previous prison will be honoured.
Visitors must produce two of the following as proof of identity:
- Driving Licence,
- Birth Certificate,
- Senior Citizens public transport pass,
- Annual public transport season ticket,
- Employers ID card that shows employee's photo,
- Rail or bus pass with photo,
- Cheque book or credit card,
- Young person's proof of age card,
- Trade Union or National Students card
Mother and baby: Baby bottles will be heated in the Visitor's Centre on request. If you wish to breast feed in private please ask one of the staff.
Prams, pushchairs and buggies are not allowed in the visits room but you may leave these in the visit centre. You may take a baby's bottle and baby food into the visits room: 1x clear bottle with milk and 2x sealed items of baby food..
Searching Policy – Visitors
- Every visitor to the Visits Room on Domestic Visits will receive a level A search
- Visitors will be asked to walk through a metal portal or be wanded with a metal detector at all times
- A visitor will receive a Level A search after the use of the toilet facilities
Inside the visits room: On entering the visits room please report to the office at the desk. The officer will then allocate you a table. There is a refreshments bar inside the visits room selling hot and cold food, confectionery and cold drinks. There is also a water machine.
The Visits Room and Visitors’ Centre cater for the disabled.
Prisoners will be provided with information about visits as part of the induction process. This contains visits related information, such as taxi numbers, identification requirements and processes. Lincolnshire Action Trust (LAT) will ensure all prisoners get information on visits and family services, including the family services strategy.
Lincolnshire Action Trust (LAT) see all new visitors for an induction to assess needs and give support to visitors.
Money:There is a limit per group of £30 which can be made up of £5.00, £10.00 notes or £1.00 coins. £20 notes will not be accepted. Please note that the prison is in a very rural location and changing notes is not available on site.
Lockers: You will need a £5 deposit for the use of a locker during your visit, this will be refunded once the locker key is returned.
Children and Family Services: Lincolnshire Action Trust (LAT) delivers a children and families service in the visits hall and visits centre. They will provide support to you as a family and provide appropriate activities and games for the children. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01780 795327 for more information. There are highchairs and baby recliners available for very small children. If you require nappies and baby wipes, please ask one of the staff in the visits room.
We hold a number of family visits on Saturdays and Wednesdays, which will effect some dates for social and legal visits, you will be advised of this when you book. For more information about how you can join the family visits, contact LAT.
Dress code for visitors
Visitors to HMP Stocken must be dressed appropriately at all times, which will reflect in our aim to create a family atmosphere. This instruction applies to all visitors to the establishment regardless of age and gender.
At HMP Stocken it is considered to be inappropriate to wear the following types of clothing:
- Short/cropped tops that reveal naked midriff
- Low cut tops or shirts that unbutton to reveal cleavage or bare chest
- Vests (as a single garment)
- Mini-skirts that are shorter than knee length and expose thighs
- Shorts that are shorter than knee length and expose thighs
- All types of see-through clothing
- Headwear (other than for religious purposes)
- Clothing that displays offensive material
Wednesdays: Visits take place between 09:00-11:00 and 13:45 to 16:45
Thursdays: 13:45 to 16:45
Official visits can be booked only by emailing a request to email@example.com.
Prison Voicemail service
Social contacts can exchange voicemails with prisoners through the Prison Voicemail service, which is available at this establishment. Family members or friends sign up online and are given a unique landline phone number which they can call at any time to leave messages. The prisoner dials the same number from within the prison to listen and reply. You can find more information including pricing at www.prisonvoicemail.com.
How to get there: HMP Stocken is situated near the village of Stretton off the A1, exit onto the B668.
- Train: The nearest stations are Stamford, Grantham and Oakham. You will need to take a taxi from the station to the prison.
Local taxi companies include:
Berridge Taxis – 01572 756088
Young's Taxis – 01572 813053
Kevin's Taxis – 01572 720136
Associated Silver Cabs – 01780 482800
Star Line Cabs - 01780 763245
- Car: North and Southbound on the A1 exit B668 – Stocken is signposted from this point. On arrival at the prison, please use the main car park.