PRACTICE DIRECTION 53A – TRANSFERRING PROCEEDINGS TO AND FROM THE MEDIA AND COMMUNICATIONS LIST
This practice direction supplements Part 53
1. If a Media and Communications Judge orders proceedings to be transferred to the Media and Communications List—
(1) the judge will order them to be transferred to the Royal Courts of Justice; and
(2) the judge may give case management directions.
2. An application by a defendant, including a Part 30 defendant, for an order transferring proceedings to or from the Media and Communications List should be made promptly and normally not later than the first case management conference.
3. A party applying for an order transferring a claim to the Media and Communications List must give notice of the application to the court or list in which the claim is proceeding, and the Media and Communications Judge will not make an order for transfer unless and until satisfied that such notice and any applicable consent has been given.
4. A Media and Communications Judge may decide that the court should consider of its own motion whether a claim should be transferred from the Media and Communications List. If the judge does so, CPR rules 3.3 and 23.8(c) apply.
5. A Media and Communications List Judge deciding whether to transfer a claim to or from the Media and Communications List will consider whether the claim or any part of it—
(1) falls outside the scope of that list (whether or not it also falls within the scope of Part 63); or
(2) falls within the scope of the list but would more conveniently be dealt with in another court or list, and make such order as the court considers appropriate in the light of its conclusions.
6. This practice direction is subject to CPR rule 30.5.